Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Chris Egerton <ch...@aiven.io.INVALID> on 2022/12/15 16:37:34 UTC

[VOTE] 3.3.2 RC0

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the first candidate for release of Apache Kafka 3.3.2.

This is a bugfix release with several fixes since the release of 3.3.1. A
few of the major issues include:

* KAFKA-14358 Users should not be able to create a regular topic name
__cluster_metadata
KAFKA-14379 Consumer should refresh preferred read replica on update
metadata
* KAFKA-13586 Prevent exception thrown during connector update from
crashing distributed herder

Release notes for the 3.3.2 release:
https://home.apache.org/~cegerton/kafka-3.3.2-rc0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Tuesday, December 20, 10pm UTC

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~cegerton/kafka-3.3.2-rc0/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~cegerton/kafka-3.3.2-rc0/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 3.3 branch) is the 3.3.2 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/3.3.2-rc0

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/33/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/33/protocol.html

The most recent build has had test failures. These all appear to be due to
flakiness, but it would be nice if someone more familiar with the failed
tests could confirm this. I may update this thread with passing build links
if I can get one, or start a new release vote thread if test failures must
be addressed beyond re-running builds until they pass.

Unit/integration tests:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/3.3/135/testReport/

System tests:
http://confluent-kafka-branch-builder-system-test-results.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/system-test-kafka-branch-builder--1670984851--apache--3.3--22af3f29ce/2022-12-13--001./2022-12-13--001./report.html
(initial with three flaky failures)
Follow-up system tests:
https://home.apache.org/~cegerton/system_tests/2022-12-14--015/report.html,
https://home.apache.org/~cegerton/system_tests/2022-12-14--016/report.html,
http://confluent-kafka-branch-builder-system-test-results.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/system-test-kafka-branch-builder--1671061000--apache--3.3--69fbaf2457/2022-12-14--001./2022-12-14--001./report.html

(Note that the exact commit used for some of the system test runs will not
precisely match the commit for the release candidate, but that all
differences between those two commits should have no effect on the
relevance or accuracy of the test results.)

Thanks,

Chris

Re: [VOTE] 3.3.2 RC0

Posted by Chris Egerton <ch...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Hi all,

Thank you to Federico for testing out and voting on the release!

Due to a number of recently-raised-and-fixed issues, we have decided to
abandon this release candidate and publish a new one with some extra fixes
included.

I am cancelling this vote thread and aim to open a new one for RC1 sometime
today or tomorrow.

Cheers,

Chris

Re: [VOTE] 3.3.2 RC0