Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/18 17:08:40 UTC

[math] Releasing 2.0

Looks like we are - at last - ready to cut 2.0.   All that remains is

1)  resolve MATH-260 and MATH-261 (which I am +1 as marking fixed, based
on Luc's last changes)
2)  push remaining unscheduled issues to 2.1
3)  generate clirr report
4)  enhance the maven-changes-report to create proper release notes

I will do the RM-ing if no one else wants to but would appreciate help
in writing a summary of API changes to add to the release notes.

Phil

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Never mind my vote for releasing with a bug.  That is the best solution!

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Phil Steitz a écrit :
>
>> Luc Maisonobe wrote:

>>> Do you mean only the template or all the sources too ?
>>>

>> Given the flakiness of the plugin's resource loading, I suspect we would
>> have to move the changes.xml file as well.   I would be OK with that if
>> it works cross-platform.  What did you have to do locally to get it to
>> work?
>>

> I moved only the velocity template to a new src/main/resource/templates
> directory I created.

OK, I am +1 for committing that change and the associated pom change.

Phil

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
>
>> Luc Maisonobe a écrit :

>>> +1

>>> Concerning MATH-268 I would consider closing it with won't fix and
>>> reopening it later if the user still wants it. This is a difficult and
>>> non-standard feature.

>>> 5) fix the last few bits in Adams-Bashforth and Adams-Moulton that still
>>> don't work ... Sorry for that but I'm still unhappy with the accuracy of
>>> these two integrators. I'm working on it. If somebody want to have a
>>> look at the implementation, please do. Be aware it is quite difficult. I
>>> have put in the class javadoc as much as I could to explain the
>>> underlying theory because I only found sparse documentation on the web
>>> and had to redevelop some equations myself.
>>>
>> I got it! It now seems to me the problem was numerical instability, not
>> an error in the equations or implementation. Step size growth should be
>> very slow for these integrators, I've changed the initial automatic
>> setting to a safer value.
>>
>> Now there is nothing left on my side that would delay 2.0 anymore.

>>> I can help on that. I'll first try once again to understand the problem
>>> with the integrator and if it takes too long I'll give up for a while
>>> and will put a notice for users that these are experimental
>>> implementations. Then I'll write a summary on the various API changes I
>>> know about (mainly ODE, optimization, root solvers and linear algebra).
>>>
>> Where do you want me to put such a summary ? I think the release notes
>> are automatically generated from the changes.xml file, so I probably
>> need to put it somewhere else.
>>

> I've set up a first version of the release notes yesterday, checked the
> remaining bits about serialization and improved tests coverage today (we
>  now have more than 2000 unit tests with a test coverage of 89%). The
> current state is ready for publication in my humble opinion.
>
> I will not have much more time this week. Phil, if you are still OK for
> managing the release, I'll let you do it when you want.

I will not have much time this week either, unfortunately, but will
start and at least get an RC rolled by the weekend.  Thanks!

Phil

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Resolving these with warnings and a bug against 2.1 to improve accuracy
seems like a good option.  It prevents API changes in 2.1

Re: [math] Releasing 2.0

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Phil Steitz a écrit :
> Looks like we are - at last - ready to cut 2.0.   All that remains is
>
> 1)  resolve MATH-260 and MATH-261 (which I am +1 as marking fixed, based
> on Luc's last changes)

+1