Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/04/05 07:19:47 UTC

[vote] bring m2-dev back to dev@maven.apache.org

Some time back, m2-dev@maven.apache.org was established for all Maven
2.x related traffic. The purpose of this was to reduce the noise on
dev@maven.

As components of m2 will be used in Maven 1.x, and as m2 becomes the
primary platform going forward, I think it would be beneficial for
everyone to be working together, and getting the full picture. I also
anticipate that the user list can field both m1 and m2 questions.

We'll do this counting a majority in 24 hours.

[ ] +1, move all m2-dev mails back to dev@maven
[ ] +0
[ ] -1, Keep them seperate (give reasons)

>From me, +1.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: [vote] bring m2-dev back to dev@maven.apache.org

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <fo...@neonics.com>.

+1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Re: [vote] bring m2-dev back to dev@maven.apache.org

Posted by Shannon K <kr...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
+1

Emmanuel

Posted by david varnes <li...@varnes.net>.
+1

davidv

Re: communicating m2 was: [vote] bring m2-dev back to dev@maven.apache.org

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Eric Pugh wrote:

> +0
>
> I think we need to address somewhere what M2 is.  I talk to new people
> all the time, and when they hear Maven2, they get nervous..   They
> start wondering why learn M1 if M2 is coming down the pike..  And, for
> early adopters, they need to know that M2 isn't baked the way M1 is,
> and that things may break or take digging in.

I agree. It's next on my list - I'll be starting tomorrow.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-222

> M2 is more then just a complete rewrite of M1, and that M2 won't
> replace M1 in one fell swoop is something that we need to
> communicate.  Rather, the backporting of components out of M2 like
> wagon or scm, are things that M1 users can really benefit from (I know
> I am excited about them!), and having discussion about them on
> dev@maven.apache.org will really help.

That's what I Was intending, yes.

> I hope it doesn't devolve to where every subject line starts with [M1]
> or [M2]..

Absolutely not.

Thanks,
Brett

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
I feel a bit like Eric which is why I've not answered to the vote so far
(I'm still unsure whether it's a good idea or not).

Some points:

- I see the ML merge as a good way to talk about m2 and dispel the urban
legends that have started to accumulate around it.

- I agree that an official statement of information on M2 is necessary at
this stage as m2 is getting visibility quickly. It should contain answers to
FAQs such as:
  - what should current users of m1 do? Should they migrate to m2? When
(maybe separate OSS projects from business projects)? How?
  - what commitment is there from the Maven development team to continue
supporting Maven 1? For how long?
  - a rough date when M2 will be considered equivalent in functionality to
m1 (i.e. roughly same number of plugins which do the same thing -
isofunctionality)
  - support for m1 plugins and Jelly in general
  - rough planning for m2. First alpha, first beta, planned 1.0 and their
contents

I know this FAQ list makes Maven sound like it's a commercial product...
However I do think Open Source nowadays have to be managed like commercial
products because more and more people rely on it and establish business
decisions on it. I think we owe it to our users to make the strategy and
direction as transparent as possible.

Thus, I do think we need to put these M2 FAQ answers visibility on the Maven
web site. Once this done, I think merging the 2 lists will be a good thing.
I'm happy to help if I can.

What do you think?

-Vincent

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Trygve

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
+1

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance

Posted by Thomas Recloux <th...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Apr 5, 2005 7:19 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Some time back, m2-dev@maven.apache.org was established for all Maven
> 2.x related traffic. The purpose of this was to reduce the noise on
> dev@maven.
>
> As components of m2 will be used in Maven 1.x, and as m2 becomes the
> primary platform going forward, I think it would be beneficial for
> everyone to be working together, and getting the full picture. I also
> anticipate that the user list can field both m1 and m2 questions.
>
> We'll do this counting a majority in 24 hours.
>
> [ ] +1, move all m2-dev mails back to dev@maven
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1, Keep them seperate (give reasons)
>
> From me, +1.
>
> Cheers,
> Brett

Thomas Recloux

RE: [vote] bring m2-dev back to dev@maven.apache.org

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1

Arnaud

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

> primary platform going forward, I think it would be beneficial for
> everyone to be working together, and getting the full picture. I also

>From my point of view, it will sound good to send a small email (or an html
document) to describe "how to: getting started with m2" i.e.:
* the new environment variable is M2_HOME
* description of the new pom schema
* some useful links like http://maven.apache.org/m2,
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG and others
* and so on
Thus, everybody could be involved.

What does the maven team think about that?

Cheers,

Vincent