Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/17 15:26:10 UTC

[C++ etc] is the gentools dir used by the C++ etc builds?

Hi all,

I raised QPID-4458 to remove a couple of jars in the gentools dir from the
repo (I didnt notice them when doing QPID-3994) and have them downloaded
using Ivy instead like all the other dependencies are. In re-doing the
changes (first attempt missed a bit) I decided to look into what actually
uses the contents of the qpid/gentools dir, and in the end I think it could
be only the Java tree that uses it (and only some of it at that). Does
anyone know differently?

It appears the C++ tree uses a ruby based generator, and I only spotted one
reference to gentools in qpid/cpp/src/generate.sh. That reference is in
form of a compilation attempt, and im not sure that it would even work as
it doesnt seem to supply the Velocity dependencies in the classpath. I also
didnt find anything referencing that script, is it actually used anymore?

There is a work in progress patch (git based) on the
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4458 that deletes much of the
contents (e.g the lib, xml-test, templ.net, templ.java, and templ.cpp dirs)
and then moves the remaider under the Java tree and enables retrieval of
the dependencies using Ivy. I plan on checking that in if people are happy
that nothing else is using the gentools dir. Using the patch I was able to
get the same output from the C++ build that I was before, albeit that was a
build failure which I suspect is because the ancient VM that I was using
was running a Fedora 12 install which I believe is 32bit:

libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../include -I../include -I.
-I=. -Werror -pedantic -Wall -Wextra -Wno-shadow -Wpointer-arith
-Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long -Wvolatile-register-var
-Winvalid-pch -Wno-system-headers -Woverloaded-virtual
-DBOOST_FILESYSTEM_VERSION=2 -g -O2 -MT qpid/amqp/SaslClient.lo -MD -MP -MF
qpid/amqp/.deps/SaslClient.Tpo -c qpid/amqp/SaslClient.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o
qpid/amqp/.libs/SaslClient.o
cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
In file included from qpid/amqp/MessageEncoder.cpp:23:
./qpid/amqp/descriptors.h:82: error: integer constant is too large for
‘long’ type
./qpid/amqp/descriptors.h:83: error: integer constant is too large for
‘long’ type
make[3]: *** [qpid/amqp/MessageEncoder.lo] Error 1
cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
In file included from qpid/amqp/MessageReader.cpp:24:
./qpid/amqp/descriptors.h:82: error: integer constant is too large for
‘long’ type
./qpid/amqp/descriptors.h:83: error: integer constant is too large for
‘long’ type
make[3]: *** [qpid/amqp/MessageReader.lo] Error 1
cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
In file included from qpid/amqp/SaslClient.cpp:25:
./qpid/amqp/descriptors.h:82: error: integer constant is too large for
‘long’ type
./qpid/amqp/descriptors.h:83: error: integer constant is too large for
‘long’ type
make[3]: *** [qpid/amqp/SaslClient.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/gemmellr/workspace/qpid.git/qpid/cpp/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/gemmellr/workspace/qpid.git/qpid/cpp/src'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gemmellr/workspace/qpid.git/qpid/cpp/src'

Regards,
Robbie

Re: [C++ etc] is the gentools dir used by the C++ etc builds?

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Andrew.

I have just updated the patch a bit to remove generate.sh and to better
integrate the stuff into the main Java build. I'll commit it tomorrow
unless I receive suggestion otherwise.

Robbie.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.