Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by "Essl, Markus" <Ma...@bitmedia.cc> on 2009/12/10 10:43:57 UTC

Question about the Plugin-Localizations

Hi!

In the widget engine it is specified that there is some localization through the locales folder, and that the locale is served by the user agent.

Reading the W3C Widget specification, I really got confused who the user agent might by actually. Usually this would mean the browser (Firefox or Internet Explorer), but it might as well be Wookie.

How is that localization done? Is just the language from the http headers used, or is it possible to request a specific language using the REST API? Usually, if I have a containing framework like a social network site, the language of the user can be set in the profile page and the web browsers user language is ignored. This is especially useful if you are in an internet café abroad. Unfortunately, the documentation on the REST API seems a little scarce to me.

Speaking of the REST API, is there a REST API for uploading widgets as well? That'd be really great, so that I can automatically deploy them and do not need to go through the admin menu.

Markus

bit schulungscenter Nfg GmbH & Co KG | Kaerntner Strasse 311, 8054 Graz | FN 264297 y | ATU61831566 | Gerichtsstand Graz

bit management Beratung GesmbH | Kaerntner Strasse 311, 8054 Graz | FN 147857m | ATU58011225 | Gerichtsstand Graz

bit media e-learning solution GmbH & Co KG | Kaerntner Strasse 311, 8054 Graz | FN 195426d | ATU49978207 | Gerichtsstand Wien

Unternehmensberatung bit consulting GmbH | Kaerntner Strasse 311, 8054 Graz | FN 196369d | ATU49853109 | Gerichtsstand Graz

Re: AW: Question about the Plugin-Localizations

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 10 Dec 2009, at 12:28, Essl, Markus wrote:

> Hello !
>
>> We recently implemented a mechanism for quickly adding widgets, which
>> is to drop .wgt files directly into Wookie's "deploy" folder. This is
>> how the default set of widgets are loaded.
>
>> However a POST method on the Widget REST API is a logical thing to
>> consider - if the "hot deploy" feature doesn't suit your needs,
>> please
>
>> add a feature request in the tracker for it.
>
> I already signed up for JIRA and faxed an ICLA, but I still need to
> find
> my way around in JIRA. I'll add a feature request as soon as I figure
> how I do that. ,-)

Cool!

> I saw that in JIRA there are different Versions - 0.81, 0.82, 0.83 - I
> take it that the current version is 0.80, and features marked with
> 0.81
> and up are the goals where to implement them?

Yes, that's correct.

> I think the "deploy"-Mechanism would be suitable, because I could just
> as well share that path (make it available with WebDAV). But
> unfortunately, it did not work for me (Windows 2008 Server, TomCat 6).
> When I put them there, at what point in time are the existing widgets
> updated? When the next request comes to the REST API? Or is that done
> periodically somehow? But maybe something was wrong with my
> installation, as the default widgets were not installed as well. It
> was
> installed in the "integrated mode used for debug". So maybe the deploy
> path is configured wrong in my system. Where is that defined? (I just
> followed the "install with tomcat" guide, and have absolutely no
> experience with TomCat - and little to none experience with java).

It normally works automatically, the folder is periodically scanned
(usually every few seconds). The deploy path is set in
widgetserver.properties with:

widget.deployfolder=/deploy
widget.hot_deploy=true

Might be worth updating to the latest code anyway, and also checking
if your local.widgetserver.properties includes the two lines above.

Posted by "Essl, Markus" <Ma...@bitmedia.cc>.
Hello !

Re: Question about the Plugin-Localizations

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.
On 10 Dec 2009, at 09:43, Essl, Markus wrote:

> Hi!
>
> In the widget engine it is specified that there is some localization
> through the locales folder, and that the locale is served by the
> user agent.
>
> Reading the W3C Widget specification, I really got confused who the
> user agent might by actually. Usually this would mean the browser
> (Firefox or Internet Explorer), but it might as well be Wookie.

Indeed, the spec is designed to be implemented by a wide range of
"user agents" which includes browsers, mobile phones, desktop apps,
and wookie. So the language can be a little vague as the range of UAs
is so broad.

> How is that localization done? Is just the language from the http
> headers used, or is it possible to request a specific language using
> the REST API? Usually, if I have a containing framework like a
> social network site, the language of the user can be set in the
> profile page and the web browsers user language is ignored. This is
> especially useful if you are in an internet café abroad.
> Unfortunately, the documentation on the REST API seems a little
> scarce to me.

The localization implementation is still only partially complete, and
currently there is no parameter in the API to request a locale for an
instance, though some of the hooks are already in place deeper in the
code ready to support it.

I've documented the requirements and remaining implementation tasks
here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WOOKIE-67

As you can see when I wrote this I was thinking of the same use-case
you have in mind, of the framework requesting a widget and supplying
the user's preferred locale based on their profile as a parameter for
the request.