Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org> on 2006/02/14 10:19:04 UTC

Re: M10N of xmldb and databases blocks

* Jean-Baptiste Quenot:

> But  where  do  I  put web.xml,  cocoon.xconf  and  sitemap.xmap
> customizations?  Is there a M10N documentation available?

Please help.  I  don't know where to put the  xpatch files, I know
that  it works  differently  now,  but cannot  manage  to find  an
example.
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/

Re: M10N of xmldb and databases blocks

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Jorg Heymans:

> Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
>
> > > But where  do I  put web.xml, cocoon.xconf  and sitemap.xmap
> > > customizations?  Is there a M10N documentation available?
> >
> > Please help.   I don't know where  to put the xpatch  files, I
> > know that it works differently  now, but cannot manage to find
> > an example.
>
> Additional   xconf    configuration   should   be    picked   up
> automatically, there is a mechanism in place for this already.
>
> HTH, sorry for being so vague :(

As you say, all this is very  vague for me too.  Who could explain
in detail  how xconf, xweb  and xmap customizations are  made now?
We don't use XConfToolTask anymore, right?
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/

Re: M10N of xmldb and databases blocks

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Carsten Ziegeler:

> In fact,  there shouldn't  be any  patches to  web.xml required,
> everything  can  be configured  through  properties  - apart  of
> course from adding own servlets, filters or listeners.

Yes, we need  to add the Xindice servlet to  web.xml for the xmldb
block, unless we want to drop it  as I never heard of people using
it.
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/

Re: M10N of xmldb and databases blocks

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Jean-Baptiste Quenot schrieb:
> * Daniel Fagerstrom:
>
>> Why  does the  DB  driver need  to be  configured  as a  servlet
>> init-parameter in the first place,  couldn't it be configured in
>> some component instead?
>
> AFAICT  the required  database drivers  need to  be loaded  early.
> There  is a  mechanism in  the  CocoonServlet to  load classes  at
> initialization.   The  classes  to  load  are  determined  by  the
> 'load-class' init-param.
You can configure this as a property in some properties file stored in
WEB-INF/properties. So there shouldn't be the need for a patch to web.xml.
A property "org.apache.cocoon.classloader.load.classes.MYOWNKEY=MYCLASS"
should work.

In fact, there shouldn't be any patches to web.xml required, everything
can be configured through properties - apart of course from adding own
servlets, filters or listeners.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: M10N of xmldb and databases blocks

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Daniel Fagerstrom:

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.
Jorg Heymans skrev:
> Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
>
>>> But  where  do  I  put web.xml,  cocoon.xconf  and  sitemap.xmap
>>> customizations?  Is there a M10N documentation available?
>> Please help.  I  don't know where to put the  xpatch files, I know
>> that  it works  differently  now,  but cannot  manage  to find  an
>> example.
>
> I'm a bit out of touch with the block activity lately so don't shoot me
> if i'm wrong, but i think this is the first block needing web.xml
> modifications for the block to work. I can't remember the mechanism of
> how this is supposed to work being discussed. Presumably the deployer
> would pick up the necessary modifications and somehow patch these into
> the running web.xml.

Why does the DB driver need to be configured as a servlet init-parameter
in the first place, couldn't it be configured in some component instead?

/Daniel

Re: M10N of xmldb and databases blocks

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:

>> But  where  do  I  put web.xml,  cocoon.xconf  and  sitemap.xmap
>> customizations?  Is there a M10N documentation available?
>
> Please help.  I  don't know where to put the  xpatch files, I know
> that  it works  differently  now,  but cannot  manage  to find  an
> example.

I'm a bit out of touch with the block activity lately so don't shoot me
if i'm wrong, but i think this is the first block needing web.xml
modifications for the block to work. I can't remember the mechanism of
how this is supposed to work being discussed. Presumably the deployer
would pick up the necessary modifications and somehow patch these into
the running web.xml.

Additional xconf configuration should be picked up automatically, there
is a mechanism in place for this already.

HTH, sorry for being so vague :(

Jorg