Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by briand <br...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/23 20:28:49 UTC

performance implications on using lots of values in fq

I have documents in SOLR such that each document contains one to many points
(latitude and longitudes).   Currently we store the multiple points for a
given document in the db and query the db to find all of the document ids
around a given point first.   Once we have the list of ids, we populate the
fq with those ids and the q value and send that off to SOLR to do a search.
In the "longest" query to SOLR we're populating about 450 ids into the fq
parameter at this time.   I was wondering if anyone knows the performance
implications of passing so many ids into the fq and when it would
potentially be a problem for SOLR?   Currently the query passing in 450 ids
is not a problem at all and returns in less than a second.   Thanks.

Re: performance implications on using lots of values in fq

Posted by Norberto Meijome <fr...@meijome.net>.
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:28:49 -0700 (PDT)
briand <br...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have documents in SOLR such that each document contains one to many points
> (latitude and longitudes).   Currently we store the multiple points for a
> given document in the db and query the db to find all of the document ids
> around a given point first.   Once we have the list of ids, we populate the
> fq with those ids and the q value and send that off to SOLR to do a search.
> In the "longest" query to SOLR we're populating about 450 ids into the fq
> parameter at this time.   I was wondering if anyone knows the performance
> implications of passing so many ids into the fq and when it would
> potentially be a problem for SOLR?   Currently the query passing in 450 ids
> is not a problem at all and returns in less than a second.   Thanks.

Hey Brian,
sorry, i can't answer your question. but I wonder if you tried Postgresql + PostGis extensions, and what has your experience been, compared to Lucene/SOLR.

thanks :)

_________________________
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Computers are like air conditioners; they can't do their job properly if you open windows.

Re: performance implications on using lots of values in fq

Posted by Preetam Rao <bl...@gmail.com>.
I don't have much idea on performance of these many fqs,  since I have
usually used very small number of fqs. But passing my thoughts hoping it
might help. (since I did not see any response :-)

a) the filter cache size needs to be more, so that fqs can be cached. If a
fq is not in cache, AFAIK, each fq produces one lucene query.
b) If fqs are in cache, the operations involving fq reduces to intersecting
the N bit sets where N is number of fqs.
In the worst case, N fqs boil down to N lucene queries and N bitset
intersections.

Just a wild guess - if you are doing something with radius search or similar
search involving lat/longs, you can try using LocalSolr, which takes care of
all the details for you.

------
Preetam