Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Prashans Mistry <pr...@in.ibm.com> on 2013/03/14 12:49:53 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.63 on AIX6.1 -- how to get .so modules

Hi Guys,

Please find the scenario where we are geting the trouble with Apache
2.0.63.

AIX 5.1 - apache2.0.63

We are using the Apache 2.0.63 on AIX5.1 for our most of the Peoplesoft
enviornments.
All the modules including the weblogic module mod_wl_20.so  are with the
extension of .so.

AIX 6.1 - apache2.0.63

Now there is a requirement to upgrade to AIX 6.1.

The problem which we are facing with the compilation of apache2.0.63 on 6.1
is that after the compilation and make install, It generates the modules
with .la or .a extension.  While we need the so modules. If we get any help
regarding this issue will be much appriciated.

Command we are using for the configuration is as follow.

/configure --prefix=<apache_base>/apache_ssl --enable-module=so
--enable-rule=SHARED_CORE --enable-ssl  --enable-setenvif
-enable-proxy=shared  --enable-rewrite=shared

For now to meet the client's need we are using the compiled source of AIX
5.1 at AIX 6.1 which is working good ( but with 5.1 gcc lib versions on the
server).

Prashans Mistry

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.63 on AIX6.1 -- how to get .so modules

Posted by Prashans Mistry <pr...@in.ibm.com>.
Thanks a ton Eric,

This time i am successful in getting .so modules in 2.0.63 version also.

What made it worked is setting up the following 2 variables.

ac_cv_build=powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
ac_cv_build_alias=powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0

And thanks for the link also it will help a lot in future.

Thanks again,

Prashans Mistry

From:	Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>
To:	users@httpd.apache.org,
Date:	14/03/2013 08:23 PM
Subject:	Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.63 on AIX6.1 -- how to get .so
            modules

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Prashans Mistry
<pr...@in.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick note for following, Sorry if i am asking question of very
low
> level as I do not have that much expertise in apache...
>
> I have done the clean build of 2.0.63  by replacing the
> config.sub/config.guess from 2.2.22 version, but it had produced the .la
> and .a extension modules only however at this time i did not set the
> following 2 variables.
>
> Do I need to change the variables as well as replace the config files too
> before configuring ?

No, either one should be sufficient. You also might want to try an
updated libtool if it this procedure didn't help.

Some build notes are available here, in case something helps:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/AIXPlatform

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.63 on AIX6.1 -- how to get .so modules

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prashans Mistry <pr...@in.ibm.com>.
Hi,

Just a quick note for following, Sorry if i am asking question of very low
level as I do not have that much expertise in apache...

I have done the clean build of 2.0.63  by replacing the
config.sub/config.guess from 2.2.22 version, but it had produced the .la
and .a extension modules only however at this time i did not set the
following 2 variables.

Do I need to change the variables as well as replace the config files too
before configuring ?

Prashans R Mistry
Database Administrator
Global Business Services

 Mobile: 91-769-866-9556                                 (Embedded image moved to file:
 E-mail: prashans.mistry@in.ibm.com                                    pic32238.gif)IBM

From:	Prashans Mistry/India/IBM@IBMIN
To:	users@httpd.apache.org,
Date:	14/03/2013 06:18 PM
Subject:	Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.63 on AIX6.1 -- how to get .so
            modules

Hi Eric,

I have did configure again by setting the variables,
Let me untar the dump again replace the config.sub/config.guess from 2.2.22
release and test again.

I will post the outcome.

Thasnks,
Prashans

From:		 Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>
To:		 users@httpd.apache.org,
Date:		 14/03/2013 06:11 PM
Subject:		 Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.63 on AIX6.1 -- how to
get .so
            modules

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Prashans Mistry
<pr...@in.ibm.com> wrote:
> Thanks Eric,
>
> I have tried to set the native environment variables ac_cv_build and
> ac_cv_build_alias to
> powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0 before running configure. But after configure , In
> make I am getting following errors
>
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .ap_single_module_configure
> ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .ap_remove_loaded_module
> ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
> information.
> collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

Tough to say, did you do a clean build?    Did the error change?

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.63 on AIX6.1 -- how to get .so modules

Posted by Prashans Mistry <pr...@in.ibm.com>.
Hi Eric,

From:	Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>
To:	users@httpd.apache.org,
Date:	14/03/2013 06:11 PM
Subject:	Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.63 on AIX6.1 -- how to get .so

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prashans Mistry <pr...@in.ibm.com>.
Thanks Eric,

I have tried to set the native environment variables ac_cv_build and
ac_cv_build_alias to
powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0 before running configure. But after configure , In
make I am getting following errors

ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .ap_single_module_configure
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .ap_remove_loaded_module
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
information.
collect2: ld returned 8 exit status

Stop.

Stop.
$

Is it something I am doing wrong ? I have exported the env. variable before
running configure command , in small case.

Prashans R Mistry

From:	Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>
To:	users@httpd.apache.org,
Date:	14/03/2013 05:29 PM
Subject:	Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.63 on AIX6.1 -- how to get .so
            modules

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Prashans Mistry
<pr...@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Please find the scenario where we are geting the trouble with Apache
> 2.0.63.
>
> AIX 5.1 - apache2.0.63
>
> We are using the Apache 2.0.63 on AIX5.1 for our most of the Peoplesoft
> enviornments.
> All the modules including the weblogic module mod_wl_20.so  are with the
> extension of .so.
>

> AIX 6.1 - apache2.0.63
>
> Now there is a requirement to upgrade to AIX 6.1.
>
> The problem which we are facing with the compilation of apache2.0.63 on
6.1
> is that after the compilation and make install, It generates the modules
> with .la or .a extension.  While we need the so modules. If we get any
help
> regarding this issue will be much appriciated.
>
> Command we are using for the configuration is as follow.
>
> /configure --prefix=<apache_base>/apache_ssl --enable-module=so
> --enable-rule=SHARED_CORE --enable-ssl  --enable-setenvif
> -enable-proxy=shared  --enable-rewrite=shared

Update config.sub/config.guess from a later release tarball, or  set

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.