Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Newton <da...@solaraccess.com> on 2000/12/20 18:03:57 UTC

Basic web-app question

This may be an utterly stupid question, but since I don't have
to impress anybody (much ;) I'll ask it anyway.

Normally when I've developed a web application in another
environment I can use sub-directories to help keep things
clean. It appears that JSP/Servlet applications are delivered
in a WAR with a specific directory hierarchy (classes, etc.)

Can the WAR file (or a webapp in general if I deploy non-WAR)
contain a directory hierarchy, i.e., I have a site with a
home page (main directory) and a few things off of it, then,
say, a message base (or whatever) "section" in a subdirectory,
etc.? Does that work?

Thanks!

--
Dave Newton, dave@solaraccess.com

Re: Basic web-app question

Posted by Ted Husted <ne...@husted.com>.
On 12/20/2000 at 12:03 PM Dave Newton wrote:
> In the WAR file (or a webapp in general if I deploy non-WAR) contain
a directory hierarchy, i.e., I have a site with a
home page (main directory) and a few things off of it, then, say, a
message base (or whatever) "section" in a subdirectory,
etc.? Does that work?

Yes. For a working example, see the Jakarta Struts distribution which
includes four (count'em four) WARs.

Tomcat can autoexpand WAR files, which makes them basically
plug-and-play.

Mileage can vary with other containers though ;-).

-- Tel 716 425-0252; Fax 716 223-2506.
-- http://www.husted.com/