Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ravi <ra...@htinc.com> on 2004/10/27 21:36:14 UTC

Stopwords in Exact phrase

 Is there way to include stopwords in an exact phrase search? For
example, when I search on "Melbourne IT", Lucene only searches for
Melbourne ignoring "IT".

Thanks,
Ravi.

Re: Stopwords in Exact phrase

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Oct 27, 2004, at 3:36 PM, Ravi wrote:
>  Is there way to include stopwords in an exact phrase search? For
> example, when I search on "Melbourne IT", Lucene only searches for
> Melbourne ignoring "IT".

But you want stop words removed for general term queries?

Have a look at how Nutch does its thing - it has a very similar type of
situation where it deals with common terms differently if they are in a
phrase.

There are other choices - use a different analyzer, and if you want
that used only for phrase queries you can override QueryParser and its
getFieldQuery method.

	Erik

Re: Stopwords in Exact phrase

Posted by Justin Swanhart <gr...@gmail.com>.
your analyzer will have removed the stopword when you indexed your documents, so
lucene won't be able to do this for you.

You will need to implement a second pass over the results returned by lucene and
check to see if the stopword is included, perhaps with String.indexOf()