Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Sai Pavan Gadde <id...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/01 11:13:28 UTC

Conversion for Open Office to other files

Hi Everyone,

Is there any possibility of converting Open Office files like odt,odi, ods
to csv or xls, or xlsx by using POI tool,

Give me the way, also coding if you have

--
*THANKS & REGARDS,*
G.SAI PAVAN,

Re: Conversion for Open Office to other files

Posted by Angelo zerr <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I had written an article about odt, docx converters with Java at
http://angelozerr.wordpress.com/2012/12/06/how-to-convert-docxodt-to-pdfhtml-with-java/

You will see in action several solutions like JODConverter, docx4j and
XDocReport.

Regards Angelo

Posted by Darren Roberts <ro...@yahoo.com>.
Try using jOpenDocument (http://www.jopendocument.org) or the ODF Toolkit (http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/) to read in the OpenDocument files contents, then use OpenCSV and/or POI to write that back out to whichever file format you need.

There exists plenty of example code for both libraries so try looking at it. Without knowing your specific use case the only code anyone could give you would be the most basic example possible, which probably doesn't meet your requirements anyway. For example how would you want to handles images or blocks of text in an ODT when saved to an XLS or CSV, especially since CSV can't contain images?

What you're trying to do is largely possible, but you're going to have to do quite a bit of work yourself I'm afraid. The listed libraries only help you with reading/writing files in their respective supported formats, the code that translates the content from one format to the other and how you want it laid out you need to write yourself.

Posted by Angelo zerr <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sai,

As Nick said you, you can use ODFToolkit for that, but pay attention it's a
very very big task.

If you are interested XDocReport provides odt->pdf and odt->xhtml
converters at https://code.google.com/p/xdocreport/wiki/ODFDOMConverterwhich
uses ODFDOM. But it's not magic,there is some limitations (don't
support conversion of draw, etc).

Regards Angelo

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.