Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by koosala <na...@gmail.com> on 2018/12/03 08:33:54 UTC

Apache NMS ActiveMQ - support for createSharedDurableConsumer

Hi,

We use Apache NMS library for consuming the broker (from .Net). We would
like to scale out consumers by subscribing to the same topic, but the
consumers acting as competing consumers, so that only one of them processes
any message. ActiveMQ artemis supports multiple clients to a multicast queue
under an address.

 Apache JMS 2.0 supports creating shared consumers for this purpose -
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/jms2messaging-1954190.html

Is such a feature available with Apache NMS library, or will this be
available some time in the future?

Thanks,
Praveen

Re: Apache NMS ActiveMQ - support for createSharedDurableConsumer

Posted by koosala <na...@gmail.com>.
I checked creating the topic by using the address with name as "A::B" and
ActiveMQ ended up creating an address with the name "A::B", it did not
create a multicast queue with name B.

AmqpNetLite is an option, but there may be some gaps and I will need to do a
good POC to verify it can do things that Apache.NMS can with ActiveMQ. I
know we can create competing consumers on a topic (a multicast queue under
an address in AMQ) by using the same client ID, but on the other hand it
does not do auto-reconnect and failover to passive broker similar to how
Apache.NMS can.

Posted by "michael.andre.pearce" <mi...@me.com.INVALID>.
I cant remember if FQQN is supported on openwire. If it is.
You could you use a JMSqueue with a FQQN to bind to the topic subscription you want to share

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com> Date: 03/12/2018  15:53  (GMT+00:00) To: users@activemq.apache.org Subject: Re: Apache NMS ActiveMQ - support for createSharedDurableConsumer

NMS API does not offer support for this and there aren't any plans to
add it.  The OpenWire protocol doesn't offer the features needed to
implement shared subscriptions so it isn't easily added there.  You
could trying switch to an AMQP based .NET client like AmqpNetLite and
work from there.

On 12/3/18 3:33 AM, koosala wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use Apache NMS library for consuming the broker (from .Net). We would
> like to scale out consumers by subscribing to the same topic, but the
> consumers acting as competing consumers, so that only one of them processes
> any message. ActiveMQ artemis supports multiple clients to a multicast queue
> under an address.
>
>   Apache JMS 2.0 supports creating shared consumers for this purpose -
> https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/jms2messaging-1954190.html
>
> Is such a feature available with Apache NMS library, or will this be
> available some time in the future?
>
> Thanks,
> Praveen

Tim Bish

Re: Apache NMS ActiveMQ - support for createSharedDurableConsumer

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
NMS API does not offer support for this and there aren't any plans to
add it.  The OpenWire protocol doesn't offer the features needed to
implement shared subscriptions so it isn't easily added there.  You
could trying switch to an AMQP based .NET client like AmqpNetLite and
work from there.

On 12/3/18 3:33 AM, koosala wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use Apache NMS library for consuming the broker (from .Net). We would
> like to scale out consumers by subscribing to the same topic, but the
> consumers acting as competing consumers, so that only one of them processes
> any message. ActiveMQ artemis supports multiple clients to a multicast queue
> under an address.
>
>   Apache JMS 2.0 supports creating shared consumers for this purpose -
> https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/java/jms2messaging-1954190.html
>
> Is such a feature available with Apache NMS library, or will this be
> available some time in the future?
>
> Thanks,
> Praveen

Tim Bish