Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org> on 2015/04/01 12:07:28 UTC

[Kerby] configuration format

Hi Kai,

  I see a _lot_ of configuration formats in kerby-config module, and
  IMHO this is not good, this leads to unnecessary maintenance overhead.

  Is there any reason to support more than just a .properties or .conf
  format?

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

RE: [Kerby] configuration format

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Hi Kiran,

Thanks for your querying. Yes you’re right there’re quite a few of configuration formats in kerby-config module, which is separate from the Kerberos stuff and means also to be used in other projects/contexts possibly. In KrbClient and KDC, we do only use MIT configuration compatible format (which is rather like an INI format). We haven’t chosen a good one for KerbyKDC yet if
that sounds any necessary. For tests we use Java Map, or Properties too. For other formats, they’re not well tested and used yet, but if there’re someone that would work on and use them,
I thought it should be OK. Note, the common API is used across these configuration formats. Anyway, we won’t wish our main codes about Kerberos are coupled with any format, so it’s easy
to use or switch to other ones. It’s all about we’re providing a Kerberos library, which would be good to be easy to plug and work with existing formats. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Regards,