Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ton Robin Duong <rh...@uh.edu> on 2011/12/20 08:38:10 UTC

Upgrade SVN 1.6 to 1.7 on CentOS 5.5 with cPanel

I tried to upgrade by running a make install again with the new 1.7.2 tar.

This should in theory replace the binaries right?
I took that to mean:
	* download new version (1.7.2)
	* configure
	* make
	* make install
Before the above process ran: svn --version --quiet prints 1.6.17
After the above process ran: svn --version --quiet prints 1.6.17  (should show 1.7.2)
What am I doing wrong here?

PS: SVN was installed initially using modified (skipped the rpmforge stuff) process described here: http://sven.webiny.com/subversion-on-cpanel-3-with-centos-55-and-easyapache-32/
SVN is working right now, no problem, I just want to upgrade it.

Re: Upgrade SVN 1.6 to 1.7 on CentOS 5.5 with cPanel

Posted by Ton Robin Duong <rh...@uh.edu>.
Nico, that will be great.

I've also posted on stack overflow.

If you use it and want some rep, you can post there, also.
If you don't use it, I can post your answer there and reference you.

Ton

PS: I've read updating RPM can cause some nasty issues because it updates everything to bleeding edge.
Can you confirm or deny this?

________________________________
> I tried to upgrade by running a make install again with the new 1.7.2 tar.
> This should in theory replace the binaries right?
> I took that to mean:
>
> download new version (1.7.2)
> configure
> make
> make install
>
> Before the above process ran: svn --version --quiet prints 1.6.17
> After the above process ran: svn --version --quiet prints 1.6.17 (should
> show 1.7.2)
> What am I doing wrong here?
>
> PS: SVN was installed initially using modified (skipped the rpmforge stuff)
> process described here:
> http://sven.webiny.com/subversion-on-cpanel-3-with-centos-55-and-easyapache-32/
> SVN is working right now, no problem, I just want to upgrade it.

I've previously published some patches to get the "build an RPM" tools
to work right for RHEL-5 and RHEL-6. I've updated them for the 1.7.2
release. Shall I repost them?

For reference, I was involved in the last couple of RPMforge updates
of this package. (Contributed updated .spec files.)

Re: Upgrade SVN 1.6 to 1.7 on CentOS 5.5 with cPanel

Posted by Ton Robin Duong <rh...@uh.edu>.
I did a version check just now and it seems 1.7.2 did in fact install correctly when I ran the make install with the new tar.
I didn't really do anything, but I'm running a VPS, so maybe some automated job the tech guys on my host set up did something (recycle apache or something?)

Either way, I'm running the bleeding edge svn now so I'm happy.

________________________________

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ul...@dominolaser.com>.
Am 20.12.2011 08:38, schrieb Ton Robin Duong:
> I tried to upgrade by running a make install again with the new 1.7.2 tar.
>
> This should in theory replace the binaries right?

Provided a similar configuration, yes. It does not aim to replace
anything, only if you configure it to install in the same location it
will overwrite what is already there. No removal of obsolete files, no
checking for redundant files.

> I took that to mean:
> 	* download new version (1.7.2)
> 	* configure
> 	* make
> 	* make install
> Before the above process ran: svn --version --quiet prints 1.6.17
> After the above process ran: svn --version --quiet prints 1.6.17  (should show 1.7.2)
> What am I doing wrong here?

Take a look at the make install output, in particular where it installs
stuff. Compare that location with your shell's PATH, order matters here.

> PS: SVN was installed initially using modified (skipped the rpmforge
> stuff) process described here:
> http://sven.webiny.com/subversion-on-cpanel-3-with-centos-55-and-easyapache-32/
>
>SVN is working right now, no problem, I just want to upgrade it.

In general, I would use packages over manually installing things,
because a package manager takes away lots of manual work, and then you
also know that the packages at least received a rudimentary level of
testing.

Good luck!

Uli
Domino Laser GmbH, Fangdieckstraße 75a, 22547 Hamburg, Deutschland
Visit our website at http://www.dominolaser.com
Diese E-Mail einschließlich sämtlicher Anhänge ist nur für den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie den Absender umgehend, falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Empfänger sein sollten. Die E-Mail ist in diesem Fall zu löschen und darf weder gelesen, weitergeleitet, veröffentlicht oder anderweitig benutzt werden.
E-Mails können durch Dritte gelesen werden und Viren sowie nichtautorisierte Änderungen enthalten. Domino Laser GmbH ist für diese Folgen nicht verantwortlich.