Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2005/03/29 20:39:56 UTC

Nightly Releases

If there are some people with extra time, committer or not, we could *really* use nightly releases.  Strike that, developers build Geronimo several times daily, it's the community that needs nightly releases.

We need a bash, jelly, or even java program that can:

NIGHTLY-RELEASE (run if build/test passed)
     checkout current date (cvs) or current rev (svn)
     (using 48765 as example svn rev for explanation)
     update the geronimo_version in etc/project.properties to 1.0-48765
     zip geronimo-1.0-48765 dir into geronimo-1.0-48765-src.zip
     again for tar
     build with no tests--testing should have already been done.
     zip modules/assembly/target/geronimo-1.0-48765 dir into geronimo-1.0-48765.zip
     again for tar
     create MD5 files for src/bin tars and zips with openssl
     again but with SHA instead of MD5
     create 1.0-48765 dir on nightly release server using ssh
     copy tar.gz, zip, md5, and sha files into 1.0-48765 using scp
     publish jars to remote maven repo
     delete any previous nightly releases over a week old.

As an added bonus, I actaully had something close once and here it is: http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/svn-release.sh

Ugly as heck.  Someting in java or jelly would be the best option as everyone could maintain it.

Maybe we can formally thank the person who get's this done by putting their name in a THANK_YOU file in every nightly release for a month or on the website for a while.

-David

Re: Nightly Releases

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:14:58 -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org> wrote:

> Should we target this to be the same as the release process, but use
> latest revision tag rather than a version #?  Two birds?

Making it reusable sounds like a good idea to me. The difference can
easily be triggered using an argument. But maybe since David wrote the
original he could chime in here. Are there any dragons there that
might prevent this?

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Nightly Releases

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 02:14:58PM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Should we target this to be the same as the release process, but use
> latest revision tag rather than a version #?  Two birds?

Yea, this script already does that, but is a bit broken if i remember--have too many versions of it on my machine.

-David

Re: Nightly Releases

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

geirm@apache.org

Re: Nightly Releases

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 12:13:37PM -0700, Bruce Snyder wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:03:30 -0800, Dain Sundstrom
> <ds...@gluecode.com> wrote:
> > +10000000000000000000000000000000
> >
> > Anyone that has time, please help with this one.  This would be a huge
> > help to the whole community.
> >
> > -dain
> >
> > On Mar 29, 2005, at 10:39 AM, David Blevins wrote:
> >
> > > If there are some people with extra time, committer or not, we could
> > > *really* use nightly releases.  Strike that, developers build Geronimo
> > > several times daily, it's the community that needs nightly releases.
> > >
> > > We need a bash, jelly, or even java program that can:
> > >
> > > NIGHTLY-RELEASE (run if build/test passed)
> > >      checkout current date (cvs) or current rev (svn)
> > >      (using 48765 as example svn rev for explanation)
> > >      update the geronimo_version in etc/project.properties to 1.0-48765
> > >      zip geronimo-1.0-48765 dir into geronimo-1.0-48765-src.zip
> > >      again for tar
> > >      build with no tests--testing should have already been done.
> > >      zip modules/assembly/target/geronimo-1.0-48765 dir into
> > > geronimo-1.0-48765.zip
> > >      again for tar
> > >      create MD5 files for src/bin tars and zips with openssl
> > >      again but with SHA instead of MD5
> > >      create 1.0-48765 dir on nightly release server using ssh
> > >      copy tar.gz, zip, md5, and sha files into 1.0-48765 using scp
> > >      publish jars to remote maven repo
> > >      delete any previous nightly releases over a week old.
> > >
> > > As an added bonus, I actaully had something close once and here it is:
> > > http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/svn-release.sh
> > >
> > > Ugly as heck.  Someting in java or jelly would be the best option as
> > > everyone could maintain it.
> > >
> > > Maybe we can formally thank the person who get's this done by putting
> > > their name in a THANK_YOU file in every nightly release for a month or
> > > on the website for a while.
>
> Is there no infrastructure at the ASF for performing nightly builds?

I assume we can use the gump box for our builds as well.

> If not, I'll just continue w/ David's script to get something going
> somewhat quickly via cron from my user space. After this is working, I
> can work to migrate it to Maven/Jelly.

Great!

I still want to strongly encourage anyone else who would like to give it a shot, especially in Java or Jelly.  The sooner we get this integrated into our build system, the better.

-David

Re: Nightly Releases

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: Nightly Releases

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.

Nichtly builds (Was: Nightly Releases)

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
Just a FYI - a nightly  build, or a snapshot is -not- a release.

A release is something which has followed the right build procedure, has
reliable changes file, has security holes fixed or called-out in the
release notes, was +1's by enough committers, etc etc - and is something
the Geronimo community and hence the ASF explicitly stands behind and
thus releases.

So be sure to keep the labels right.

Dw

Re: Nightly Releases

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 11:20:24AM -0800, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> This should just be integrated into the maven build
>
> $ maven deploy-release
>
> or something

+10000000

As I stated, best in jelly or java.