Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org> on 2004/10/24 18:35:22 UTC

overhaul of the build system

heya,

i overhauled the build system today. lenya now uses the standard
build.properties / local.build.properties pair. make sure to move your
build.properties to local.build.properties before you sync with svn.

i also removed the dependency on an external ant (since we ship with ant
anyway). it is now possible to build lenya by issueing 'build' in the
root directory, just like cocoon.

note that this assumes that cocoon lives at ../cocoon-2.1 relative to
lenya. if this is not the case, copy build.properties to
local.build.properties and edit as necessary.

if you want to build a target other than the default (which builds lenya
but does not copy the webapp to an external container such as tomcat),
continue to use 'ant install' and friends.

i will simplify the install documentation to take these changes into
account.

please let us know if you encounter any problems.

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                          http://lenya.apache.org

Re: overhaul of the build system

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 00:18, Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>>But has anything improved or am I completely wrong?
>>

>I do not know what you mean with anything,

the reoccuring behaviour I have criticized in my harsh email

> but Gregor is helping a lot
>with 1.2.x atm.

that's very fine

>You are right important things need to be discussed, but
>on the other side discussing everything now, is reducing momentum.

I am talking about one short email and not about a huge discussion.
Ok, maybe it's getting into a discussion in some cases, but that's again
being part of a community. I guess if one would have sent one short
email re the documentation and one short email re the build process
before actually checking in stuff, then a lot of time could have and
will be saved

>think lots of us already agreed to improve the build process, see
>bugzilla.

I didn't critizice that

>Beside this Gregor send a mail to the dev list. Gregor did not broke the
>build process. Ant still worked. It was only the Linux build.sh, which
>is new and an improvement for all users.
>
> So there was no regression.

what about the documentation? What about telling people to build Lenya
with something which has never been tested and doesn't work? Why fixing
all this stuff if we could just release 1.2.1, which is the hell better
than 1.2.0 and rather put the momentum on 1.2.2-dev and release that
soon as well?

All this accumulated and I exploded and sent a harsh email in order to
tell my opinion. I apologized for being harsh and totally agree that
being harsh is not very respectful. It's fine for me now. I rather
focuse now on coding.

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: overhaul of the build system

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 00:18, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
> >>Sorry Gregor, I really get annoyed about this kind of behaviour, even if
> >>it might be a good change in the end and it's well meant. But letting
> >>other people clean up your shit isn't very respectful.
> >>

> >Mhh, IMHO your comment isn't very respectful, too. It's discouraging and
> >not polite.
> >

> yes, it was very harsh and apologize for that.
>
> But this kind of thing has happened quite often already and I always
> tried to point out in a nice way, that a simple email would have been
> sufficient to save quite a lot of people's energy.
>
> But has anything improved or am I completely wrong?

I do not know what you mean with anything, but Gregor is helping a lot
with 1.2.x atm. You are right important things need to be discussed, but
on the other side discussing everything now, is reducing momentum. I
think lots of us already agreed to improve the build process, see
bugzilla.

Beside this Gregor send a mail to the dev list. Gregor did not broke the
build process. Ant still worked. It was only the Linux build.sh, which
is new and an improvement for all users. So there was no regression.

I agree discussion and notes are important for a dev community, but code
is as well and can be reverted if it doesn't work.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: overhaul of the build system

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by al...@owal.co.uk.
Gregor J. Rothfuss said:
> the phrase "feel free to fix it"

I am pretty certain I heard that elsewhere in Apache many years before I
came across Lenya/Wyona. It seems to be a mantra round these parts. It
isn't really appropriate all the time.

I'm going to offer a tiny bit of advice which I said to a colleague a few
weeks ago. He has been making fun of me for it ever since.

My Advice: "Chill Dudes".

(God, I wish I had more time to help test, document and code rather than
making inane comments)

--

Alex McLintock
Openweb Analysts Ltd

Re: overhaul of the build system

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

>> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:45, Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>>> But letting other people clean up your shit isn't very respectful.
>>

> funny to hear that from the guy who coined the phrase "feel free to
> fix it"

I want to apologize for being so rude.

But please let's not mix different things, because I don't use this
phrase in such a context (also I don't think I have coined this phrase
originally).

ok, trying to be more objective:

I think it's important that all of us (as I was told myself some time
ago) are telling people what one intends to do. This allows each of
us to support or object which I think is necessary in order work within
a community.

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: overhaul of the build system

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 17:53, Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 15:45, Michael Wechner wrote:
> > Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> > > no, just windows.
>
> No problem, I think I found error. Will fix it tonight. Thank you
> Gregor.

Fixed.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: overhaul of the build system

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 22:34, Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 22:10, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:

> > > It seems to have sth. to do with the first line in build.sh
> > > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > This error normal occurs when the shell executable cannot be found.
> > Its seems unlikely, but check to see if /bin/sh is a valid file or
> > link and it has the normal execute privileges.
>
> No, it's there under /bin/sh . Otherwise the cocoon build.sh won't work
> properly, too.

Interesting, I have just copied the contents of build.sh to another file
and now it works. But now I have the same problem with tools/bin/ant.
Maybe this is an encoding problem or so. I will fix it tomorrow.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: overhaul of the build system

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 21:47, Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> >
> > On ./build.sh in the lenya root dir I get
> >
> > roku@swan:~/tmp/BRANCH_1_2_X> ./build.sh
> > : bad interpreter: No such file or directory
> >
> > I have changed the path to cocoon appropriate in build.properties.
>
> It seems to have sth. to do with the first line in build.sh
> #!/bin/sh

This error normal occurs when the shell executable cannot be found.
Its seems unlikely, but check to see if /bin/sh is a valid file or
link and it has the normal execute privileges.

--
JP

Re: overhaul of the build system

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 21:47, Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 18:35, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> >
> > please let us know if you encounter any problems.
>
> On ./build.sh in the lenya root dir I get
>
> roku@swan:~/tmp/BRANCH_1_2_X> ./build.sh
> : bad interpreter: No such file or directory
>
> I have changed the path to cocoon appropriate in build.properties.
>
> Any ideas?

It seems to have sth. to do with the first line in build.sh
#!/bin/sh

I could not yet fix it. Help needed.
Thanks.

--