Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Emilio Maldonado <em...@cisco.com> on 2001/02/22 11:47:39 UTC

Apply Logicsheets after results of another (was Chaining XML->)

Hi
I appreciate the feedbacks I received on my first questions.

I'd like to ask about how to use several logicsheets and chain the RESULTs
of one into another.
Found an email talking about that (see a the end) and is exaclty what I'll
be facing (not matching elements created by a esql logicsheets because they
are part of the result).

I'm looking something like the following sequence:

a) Pure XML + my logicsheet #1 (some java logic)  = query statement "X"
b) Query "X" + logicsheet #2  (more logic, dB user/pass) = esql tags
c) Execute esql tags  =  XML "Rowsets"
d) "Rowsets" + logicsheet#3 (heavy java logic) = my2_XML
Note: logicsheet#3 won't be simply counting rows, I'll do need heavy java
logic comparison of query returned values vs. backend values using a taglib
to acess externals API's, then insert some nodes, etc. This is another layer
of logic after the query already executed.
e) my2_XML + mundane XSL's = Html

Ok, maybe "a" and "b" can be done in one step (or paralell), I'm just
raising the situation if I need to have more than one. The concerning part
is about executing "c", getting the results and applying another logical
layer? is possible to match the results of one  execution into another logic
layer on the same request?

I'm trying to understand the limitations, if not possible on the same
request then I guess I'd end up with one giant taglib performing everything
(query generation, query execution, analysis of the results, insertion of
nodes). [By the way, how would I analize the xml rowsets withing my taglib
if I can not exit to use a xsl because I need to do more java logic
afterwards ?]

I'd really appreciate your comments, examples, ideas.

Best regards
<Emilio/>

08/25 Donald wrote:
"my first avenue of attack was to insert a logicsheet between the two that
would create the call to the calendar logicsheet from the results of the
sql logicsheet invokation. unfortunately, you can't match on the elements
created by the sql logicsheet - they're part of the result document. the
only way i can think of that'd you be able to do it would be to add
another XSLT and XSP process, which i'm loathe to do."