Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ken Loomis <kl...@it-resources.com> on 2003/10/06 06:14:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Adding non-secure access

Hello:

Currently I have secure access only to my Linux/Apache server using
mod-ssl.  My ISP blocks port 80.  I am planning to upgrade my service to
where port 80 is opened, and I would like to serve up non-secure pages,
too.  If the server is listening to ports 80 and 443 how do I configure the
server to pick the right pages for the right service?  Is there a document
(or portion of a document) covering this aspect of Apache someone could
point me to.

Thanks,

Ken

Re: [users@httpd] Adding non-secure access

Posted by Leif W <wa...@usa.net>.
I'd probably do this with a virtual host.

Listen 80
Listen 443

NameVirtualHost *:80
NameVirtialHost *:443

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName server1.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName server1.com
</VirtualHost>

Instead of *, you could use your static IP (1.2.3.4), if you're using that
same IP on both the local network and the external network.  I use
192.168.*.* internally, since I don't have my NAT / masq box configured to
use the external address internally, and so I need my VirtualHosts to
respond to both 192.168.*.* and 1.2.3.4 IP numbers.

Leif

P.S. Is it an option to switch ISPs to one that doesn't block standard ports
and charge a premium for access to them?  There are many such ISPs out
there.  Check http://dslreports.com/ (they have info on both cable and DSL
broadband technologies).