Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Apache Software Foundation <hu...@Apache.Org> on 2001/09/21 22:05:37 UTC

FW: I18N Server Side support for OS running foreign locale

Not acked, but I think the answer is "yes".

----- Forwarded message from "Vaughn, Louis" <Lo...@bmc.com> -----

From: "Vaughn, Louis" <Lo...@bmc.com>
To: "'human-response@apache.org'" <hu...@apache.org>
Subject: FW: I18N Server Side support for OS running foreign locale
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:41:08 -0500

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

As Roy Fielding pointed out on the list, Apache does not support wchar
Unicode (except as http body content served to a client, note the
distributed example document htdocs/index.html.ru.ucs2).

Apache also does not (yet) 'transparently' support any of the i18n forms
of the server (host) name.  Since most are encoded into an ASCII subset,
it should be trivial to drop their 'encoded' forms as ServerName or
ServerAlias directives (but the encoded forms are essentially illegible.)

Apache will never have a 'locale' as such.  Web servers themselves are
effectively language/content neutral.  You can define directives such
as DefaultLanguage to declare that documents (e.g. .html files) are in
a given language, etc.

Most unixes and (as of Apache 2.0) Windows NT will support virtually any
characters in the filename, when using utf-8 unicode encoding.  There
will be additional features in the coming Apache 2.0 to declare the
language of the mod_autoindex results.  Encoding anchor href's in html
documents correctly is up to the author.

Recognize that HTTP/1.1 _never_ defined the encoding for non-ascii requests.
There is no standard, although most momentum is twords %-escaped, utf-8
encoded Unicode URI representations.

So for the most part, today Apache 1.3 on unix is nominally flexible for
i18n applications, in that there are really no restrictions on how you
configure the server with ErrorDocument files, etc.  Apache 2.0 will make
several aspects much simpler.  Utf-8 for URI encoding grants more recent
browsers a real charset/language neutral window to the server.  It already
has four common european languages for *client* error message translations
(e.g. 404 Not found, with an explanation, is translated for dk, es, and fr
browsers and their users.)

I'm sure that's more than you wanted to know, and I probably missed some
of the gist of your question.  Please feel free to follow up, i18n itself
is an overly broad question.

Bill

Re: FW: I18N Server Side support for OS running foreign locale

Posted by dean gaudet <de...@arctic.org>.
i think the answer is "yes if you use UTF-8, there is no wchar_t support".

-dean