Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2002/08/15 00:23:25 UTC

Next question.. (was: Should we remove ant? )

Ok,

The next question is should we use Maven to build the site..?
I have used Maven to build a sample of the James site (didn't config all the
developers) in my home dir, without changing any of the source of the docs,
what do we think?

http://jakarta.apache.org/~danny/

d.

RE: Next question.. (was: Should we remove ant? )

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
actually omit the <build></build> from project.xml

Posted by Vincent Keunen <vi...@manex.be>.

--
!try; do()

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vincent Keunen <vi...@manex.be>.
I just did a small test but am stuck...   I wanted to test Maven for
James, so I grabbed the latest source of james, wrote the (required by
Maven) project.xml file (attached to this message), which just took me
10 minutes then tried to generate the site (which includes compiling the
james sources).  There it breaks and I don't know why.  Probably I would
need to tweak the build process of James, but I'm not comfortable in
doing that.

The error I get is:

F:\Dev\cvs-ext\jakarta-james>maven site:generate
 __  __
|  \/  |__ Jakarta _ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|   v. 1.0-b5-dev

jakarta-james (james) v2.0a3
F:\Dev\cvs-ext\jakarta-james

    [available] DEPRECATED - <available> used to override an existing
property.
  Build file should not reuse the same property name for different values.
site:generate:
init-dvsl-tag:

jdepend:generate-report:
java:prepare-filesystem:

java:compile:
    [javac] Compiling 150 source files to
F:\Dev\cvs-ext\jakarta-james\target\classes
    [javac] [ERROR]
F:\Dev\cvs-ext\jakarta-james\src\java\org\apache\james\BaseConnectionHandler.java:10:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] [ERROR] symbol  : class ConnectionHandler
    [javac] [ERROR] location: package connection
    [javac] [ERROR] import
org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.connection.ConnectionHandler;
    [javac]
[ERROR]                                                          ^
    [javac] [ERROR]
F:\Dev\cvs-ext\jakarta-james\src\java\org\apache\james\BaseConnectionHandler.java:11:

--
!try; do()

Posted by Vincent Keunen <vi...@manex.be>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Charles,
>
>Maven is a subproject of Turbine.  Anakia is a subproject of Velocity.
>Anything that deprecates Velocity is A Good Thing.
>

>>If there is an Apache option, I think we should take it in preference to
>>non-Apache options.
>>

>Apache Forrest *is* an Apache project.  It is, FAIAP, a Cocoon subproject.
>
>Maven: http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/
>Anakia: http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/anakia.html
>Forrest: http://xml.apache.org/forrest/
>
>Anakia appears to be the most primitive of the bunch.  Forrest is a way
>better tool in the same space, and it is also an active tool.  Maven has
>other goals, but one of its features includes site publication.
>
>I wonder why the Maven folks and Forrest folks don't get together, so that
>Maven can focus on all of the backend project management, and Forrest can
>focus on publishing the web content.
>
>	--- Noel
>

>--

!try; do()

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Vincent Keunen wrote:
>
>> Ok, so to summarize, we were discussing about choosing between maven
>> and forrest, and now you are telling us that centipede is also nice
>> to look at...  So you're making our choice harder!   ;-)
>

> ;-)
>
>> Nicola, how does Centipede positions itself in regard to maven and
>> forrest?
>

> Ok, let me give you a broad picture of what is happening.
>
> We needed a system to make cool documentation out of the Java source
> code of the Apache projects, hence Alexandria was born.
> Now I'm ready to commit new code into it from donations, that will
> make it a complete ant-based solution for source code comprehension.
>
> We needed a nice system to make site documentation and have automated
> site publishing and community helper resources: Forrest was born,
> mainly out of the need of the xml.apache.org site.
> It will play well with other projects such as Alexandria, given that
> they prepare the stuff in Forrest DTD, similar to XHTML, with only the
> semantical tags.
>
> We needed a system to make automated builds out of the latest and
> greatest code... hence Gump was born, and it works well.
> The problem is that it's difficult to set up, so we are working to
> make it easier to use.
>
> I needed an easy system to make builds based on Ant, that would tie
> all the above projects together and add library and plugin download to
> the mix, hence Centipede.
> I have worked well with the Ant folks, and the new XmlProperty task
> and part of the new embed proposal come from Centipede.
>
> Above all, it's Forrest Gump in Alexandria on a Centipede ;-)
>
> Maven was born out of a proposal for Gump replacement that was geared
> towards building Turbine.
> Eventually Jason forked and continued on the Turbine site.
> I proposed collaboration, since Centipede already had plugins and
> Maven didn't, but I got very harsh replies.
> Then Jason got plugins working with Jelly and Werkz, and abandoned Ant
> as a framework.
>
> The bottom line: I recommend you to wait before final releases of
> *both* projects, and then raise a vote.

+1

(from Steve who doesn't have any voting rights here)
;-)

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Forrest, Maven, Centipede, Alexandria, Gump... (was: Re: Next question.. (was: Should we remove ant? ))

Posted by Vincent Keunen <vi...@manex.be>.
Thanks Nicola.

FYI, I posted a similar question to Maven dev and will summarize here
their point of view.

--
!try; do()

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Vincent Keunen wrote:
> Ok, so to summarize, we were discussing about choosing between maven and
> forrest, and now you are telling us that centipede is also nice to look
> at...  So you're making our choice harder!   ;-)

;-)

> Nicola, how does Centipede positions itself in regard to maven and forrest?

Ok, let me give you a broad picture of what is happening.

We needed a system to make cool documentation out of the Java source
code of the Apache projects, hence Alexandria was born.
Now I'm ready to commit new code into it from donations, that will make
it a complete ant-based solution for source code comprehension.

We needed a nice system to make site documentation and have automated
site publishing and community helper resources: Forrest was born, mainly
out of the need of the xml.apache.org site.
It will play well with other projects such as Alexandria, given that
they prepare the stuff in Forrest DTD, similar to XHTML, with only the
semantical tags.

We needed a system to make automated builds out of the latest and
greatest code... hence Gump was born, and it works well.
The problem is that it's difficult to set up, so we are working to make
it easier to use.

I needed an easy system to make builds based on Ant, that would tie all
the above projects together and add library and plugin download to the
mix, hence Centipede.
I have worked well with the Ant folks, and the new XmlProperty task and
part of the new embed proposal come from Centipede.

Above all, it's Forrest Gump in Alexandria on a Centipede ;-)

Maven was born out of a proposal for Gump replacement that was geared
towards building Turbine.
Eventually Jason forked and continued on the Turbine site.
I proposed collaboration, since Centipede already had plugins and Maven
didn't, but I got very harsh replies.
Then Jason got plugins working with Jelly and Werkz, and abandoned Ant
as a framework.

The bottom line: I recommend you to wait before final releases of *both*
projects, and then raise a vote.

Thanks :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Next question.. (was: Should we remove ant? )

Posted by Vincent Keunen <vi...@manex.be>.
Ok, so to summarize, we were discussing about choosing between maven and
forrest, and now you are telling us that centiped is also nice to look

--
!try; do()

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vincent Keunen <vi...@manex.be>.
I agree with you.  It took me only a few hours to read, install, setup
Maven on one of our projects (and we only need one person to use it to
manage the site: not everybody has to learn/use it).  It there is a
decision towards Maven, I could try and volunteer to set it up for
James.  That would be my first real contribution...  Let me know.

ps: of the "looking good" stuff of Maven, apart from already mentionned
metrics, changelog,...  I also see: standard way of documenting,
pointers to resources (mailing lists, archives, required modules), use
of Ant, cross referenced sources, integration with other tools (gump,
cvs, junit...), central jar repository (ala CPAN), style reports...

I'll subscribe to their mailing lists to have a feel for their activity
and let you know.

!try; do()

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Charles,

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
If there is an Apache option, I think we should take it in preference to
non-Apache options. And the Avalon site looks very similar to Danny's
Maven'd James site.

Charles

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
Danny,

What's the advantage of using Maven?
Where does it come from? What licence?

I think your demo looks fine (apart from lacking the graphics for
Jakarta and James)

Charles

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
I like the look of that, Danny.  :-)