Posted to dev@training.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2019/03/20 07:45:40 UTC

Have a few things I want to donate

Hi,

I have a couple of incubator related training bits.

I have:
- Apache guess what project logo is that quiz
- Apache policy quiz (and quiz engine)
- Apache Way / Incubator talk
- Apache incubator workshop I developed with help from Myrle
- Apache incubator release checklist
- An example of how to assemble LICENSE and NOTICE file for a fictitious project Apache Wombat (step by step GitHub + short video) *

All material is appropiatly licensed, created by me and/or other ASF members

There was also an Apache Way talk given by Craig, Roman and myself recently that might also be a good fit here and also an Apache Maven workshop I helped Chris out with a couple of years back.

So do people think is this a good places for things like this, what would be the first process in moving them here? Each will bring up up a couple of interesting questions of what we need to do i.e where do we host video? What format should it be in etc etc and most of small size so could be treated as interesting experiments in that.

I also have an Apache Flex workshop but that may only be of interest for historical purposes :-)

Thanks,
Justin

*The Wombat name is sort of an inside joke it means “Waste Of Money Brains and Time"

Re: Have a few things I want to donate

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I've got another Apache Way deck, that was already reused and improved multiple times.

There's a talking ppl into submitting patches and a I'm a committer now what deck.

Format for all of the above is libre/open office, no animations, easy to convert to PDF.

At work I'm currently working on material for a training (including exercises) covering the intersection of inner source/ how to git/ how to GitHub. The inner source part isn't that far from the Apache Way. That is currently in a Google slideshow, no animations for easier exportability. It's my first stab at creating more than a mere 45 min talk, so support with teaching methods welcome.

Isabel

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

just on the original topic as mentioned in another thread already. We have
content to donate on the Hadoop ecosystem, HBase, Kafka and a few minor
things.

Regarding the process I think just starting out with a Jira issue is fine
and we can then discuss everything on there. We can then have an additional
checklist (Mirko already provided one above) in the Wiki or on the homepage
(unfortunately Jira still does not have "Template issues") that can be
copied over.

Cheers,
Lars

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 9:12 AM Sönke Liebau
<so...@opencore.com.invalid> wrote:

> I just wanted to briefly point out, that the ASF also has a standardized
> way for IP donations [1] [2] that we might have to incorporate into
> our process. Most of the documentation refers to a "codebase" being brought
> in, so I am not 100% sure that this applies to our content, but my thinking
> is: it should.
> I noticed that license agreements and grants need to be mailed to
> secretary@apache, so potentially Craig can offer some additional insight
> into the actual process when we have determined if it is relevant to us.
>

> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/
> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html

I'm not sure that this is the right process for this project.  I see some
potential problems:
* The incubator PMC has expertise in a different set of licenses and types
of content than are likely to be applied here.
* Donations to training are likely to be very frequent and small; unlike
what the incubator usually gets.
* I suspect the incubator is not currently actually checking most things
that are sent to it via that process, and I don't want us to get a false
sense of security via the process.

At this point, I'm not offering an alternative.  I'm just asking if anyone
else also sees potential problems with that approach.

Best Regards,
Myrle

Re: Have a few things I want to donate

Posted by Sönke Liebau <so...@opencore.com.INVALID>.
Hi all,

first of all, I'd say we are off to a great start with all this content
that people are willing to donate. Thank you very very much to everybody!!

I agree with Mirko that a default process makes sense and at a first glance
the proposed process and checklist items all look great!

I just wanted to briefly point out, that the ASF also has a standardized
way for IP donations [1] [2] that we might have to incorporate into
our process. Most of the documentation refers to a "codebase" being brought
in, so I am not 100% sure that this applies to our content, but my thinking
is: it should.
I noticed that license agreements and grants need to be mailed to
secretary@apache, so potentially Craig can offer some additional insight
into the actual process when we have determined if it is relevant to us.

Logically it would probably go between items 4 and 5 on Mirko's proposed
list.

I have no idea how many contributions we will realistically have in-flight
at any given time once we get off the ground, but in case this becomes a
significant amount we might want to consider creating an extra issue type
with a separate workflow for this in jira. That would allow us to track
donations through the process stages.

Best regards,
Sönke

--
Sönke Liebau
Partner

Re: Have a few things I want to donate

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hey everybody,

Posted by Aizhamal Nurmamat kyzy <ai...@google.com.INVALID>.
One more thing I forgot to mention: I incorporated a lot of feedback into
the slides I received from the comdev list. I included some names in
acknowledgment, but not all of them.
Should that be fine too?

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:05 Aizhamal Nurmamat kyzy <ai...@google.com>
wrote:

> Those are great questions Justin, my answers are in line:
>
> - Is google docs the right format?
>
> I used google docs because personally for me it is easy to work with. But
> I can change the format to anything the community agrees on.
>
> - Who created the content? Did all give permission for this to be licensed
>> under it’s license?
>
> I created the content based on the information provided in various parts
> of apache.org and gave the references where appropriate. Is there
> anything i need to do?
>
> - Some potential IP/license issues. Where did the following come  from and
>> how are they licensed?
>>   - The content itself (seems to be CC-BY)
>>
> I really wasn't sure which license to use, as I thought Apache and MIT
> licenses refer mostly to the code. (eg, it has patent grant, and that is
> not really applicable to the slide?). Also i looked to other slides in
> apache.org to see how they are licensed but i couldn't find relevant
> information.
>

>>   - Slide theme
>>
> Diagrams used were designed from scratch by Amardip Raol and I have his
> permission to use. The theme I believe is good too.
>
>>   - Icons used in the slides
>>
> I have originally used couple from flaticon, but changed them to google
> material design icons <https://github.com/google/material-design-icons> that
> have Apache license. Should that be good?
>
>> - Do you have any recordings of the slides being presented?
>>
> No
>

>> It’s seem to be currently licensed under:
>> https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
>>
>> Which probably means we cannot us it [1] unless it was re-licensed, even
>> if it changed to CC-SA there are issues [2].
>>
> I am happy to relicense it.  I used CC-BY because I believed it was the
> most permissive out of all CC licenses, and I wasn't sure whether Apache
> license was appropriate for this kind of content.
>

>>  I’m more thinking out-loud here and perhaps some of the above could
>> become a check list for incoming content?
>>
> +1. Also +1 on Mirko's points, especially on:
> - provide a list of compatible licenses
> - describe the "process of relicensing"
> - describe a "cleanup process" to reduce "incompatible content"
>
> Thanks,
> Aizhamal
>

> --

*Aizhamal Nurmamat kyzy*

Open Source Program Manager

646-355-9740 Mobile

601 North 34th Street, Seattle, WA 98103

Re: Have a few things I want to donate

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I used google docs because personally for me it is easy to work with. But I
> can change the format to anything the community agrees on.

I really don’t know the right  format but some plain text format that could be exported to google docs, power point, keynote, pdf etc etc would seem to be best way to go. I have no idea what that might be right now. Chris has done some work in this area and used AsciiDoc right? Perhaps this might help? [2]

> I created the content based on the information provided in various parts of
> apache.org and gave the references where appropriate. Is there anything i
> need to do?

In code it generally obvious who created or worked on something as you can see version control or it has a header with a copyright notice. So this would need to be recorded somewhere, probably LICENSE?

> I really wasn't sure which license to use, as I thought Apache and MIT
> licenses refer mostly to the code.

Yep that the issue. but you can still use ALv2 for things that are not code or you could use CC0 if you want to keep it as a creative commons license.

> Diagrams used were designed from scratch by Amardip Raol and I have his
> permission to use.

So there was more than one creator :-) Also needs to be mentioned in LICENSE?

> The theme I believe is good too.

So where did it come from and who created that and what license is it under?

> I have originally used couple from flaticon, but changed them to google
> material design icons <https://github.com/google/material-design-icons> that
> have Apache license. Should that be good?

Yep another addition to LICENSE.

Now I’ve suggested add ALv2 content to license (which is optional) but given it’s not obvious that this content is under ALv2 that’s been the suggested way of dealing with it in the past.

> happy to relicense it.  I used CC-BY because I believed it was the most permissive out of all CC licenses

Actually I think CC0 [1] is. [1]

> +1. Also +1 on Mirko's points, especially on:
> - provide a list of compatible licenses
> - describe the "process of relicensing"
> - describe a "cleanup process" to reduce "incompatible content"

All good ideas.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/
2. https://github.com/Mogztter/asciidoc-googledocs-addon

Re: Have a few things I want to donate

Posted by Aizhamal Nurmamat kyzy <ai...@google.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Aizhamal Nurmamat kyzy <ai...@google.com.INVALID>.
Hi all!

I also have a slide deck on 'The Apache Way'
https://s.apache.org/apache-way-for-everyone
I prepared it as both a self-study material and for presentation for anyone
to use, so it has detailed speaker notes.

Happy to donate if anyone thinks that it would be a good contribution :)

Thanks

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hey Justin,
this is great news!
Your material about the "Apache way" looks like a perfect contribution to
spread the idea about "open learning besides free coding" in the Apache
context.
Look forward to go through it.
Cheers,
Mirko