Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Malcolm Warren <ma...@villeinitalia.com> on 2010/03/09 18:09:01 UTC

Nasty problem with headless mode in Tomcat 6-0-24

Not quite sure where to send this problem, hope you can forward this
message to whoever can help.
I sent this problem to Apple, but I'm wondering if it might be a Tomcat
problem. I hope it can be solved soon by somebody.

I have Mac Snow Leopard on two separate Intel machines and the same
problem on both.
Any call that uses headless mode causes java to crash completely.

I have two separate calls that use headless, one for creating .pdfs and
the other for measuring the size of .jpg photos.
The crash is caused by both, so the cause can't be laid at the door of a
particular programme.

I then assumed that the problem was in Java 6, but when I installed Java
5 in Snow Leopard, recompiled all my programmes in 1.5 and ran Tomcat
again, the same thing happened.

Tomcat is 6.0.24
Java 5 is java version "1.5.0_19"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_19-b02-304)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_19-137, mixed mode, sharing)

Java 6 is java version "1.6.0_17"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04-248-10M3025)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.3-b01-101, mixed mode)

I've attached 2 crash logs, from when I was running java 5 and another
in java 6

Hope you can help, if not, sorry for the bother.

Malcolm Warren

RE: [OT] Nasty problem with headless mode in Tomcat 6-0-24

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Nasty problem with headless mode in Tomcat 6-0-24
>
> To me, Objective C is no more objectionable than C++: they're both
> horrible beasts.

Objectionable C - the beginning of a new language: takes all the crap in C++ and makes it worse...

 - Chuck

Re: Nasty problem with headless mode in Tomcat 6-0-24

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Nasty problem with headless mode in Tomcat 6-0-24

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Nasty problem with headless mode in Tomcat 6-0-24
>
> >   (Written in Objective C?)
>
> Ha.

Don't laugh - our phones use it too.

 - Chuck

Re: Nasty problem with headless mode in Tomcat 6-0-24

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Nasty problem with headless mode in Tomcat 6-0-24

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Nasty problem with headless mode in Tomcat 6-0-24
>
> You might get lucky if you downloaded and installed the JRE
> directly from Sun

You can't - Sun does not supply an OS X variant, since it's an almost-but-not-quite sort-of-UNIX thing.  (Written in Objective C?)

 - Chuck

Re: Nasty problem with headless mode in Tomcat 6-0-24

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Nasty problem with headless mode in Tomcat 6-0-24

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 09/03/2010 19:46, Malcolm Warren wrote:
> Ok, thanks.
>
> In fact just after receiving this email from you I also got one from
> Apple saying that it's a bug and that they're trying to solve it.
> Sorry for the bother, and thanks again.

Given that it usually takes about 18months for Apple to release Java
updates, you might try the SoyLatte / OpenJDK 7 builds. YMMV

Posted by Malcolm Warren <ma...@villeinitalia.com>.
Ok, thanks.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.

I can't be categorical, because I have never used Tomcat on an Apple
machine, but neither here nor in the attachments do I spot anything that
might be Tomcat-related.

If there anything which mentions Tomcat or Jakarta or Apache, please
point it out.