Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by satish kilaru <ia...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/21 12:53:25 UTC

mod_log-any/8824: If time zone is changed while apache is running, it doesn't reflect in access log properly

>Number:         8824
>Category:       mod_log-any
>Synopsis:       If time zone is changed while apache is running, it doesn't reflect in access log properly
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I am running httpd.
current time zone is IST
downloaded a page. checked the access log. It shows sorrect time zone(IST)
Now I modified the zone to GMT and downloaded another page. Checked the access log. It shows sorrect time zone( GMT)
Now I reverted it to IST. and downloaded another page. Checked the access log. It shows sorrect time zone( IST)
Now again I change it to GMT  and downloaded another page. Checked the access log. It still shows IST. Aftter this what ever is the zone I set to it shows IST only.

If I restart it follows the changes in zone 2 times. Then it doesn't follow.
>How-To-Repeat:
start httpd.
say current time zone is IST
Download a page. check the access log. It shows sorrect time zone(IST)
Now I modify the zone to GMT and downloaded another page. Check the access log. It shows sorrect time zone( GMT)
Now I revert it to IST and download another page. Check the access log. It shows sorrect time zone( IST)
Now again change it to GMT  and download another page. Check the access log. It still shows IST. Aftter this what ever is the zone you set to, it shows IST only.
>Fix:
I have no clue. But I know how time zone is maintained in linux. While a process is running, if time zone changes it will not know abt the changes unless it monitors /etc/localtime or /etc/sysconfig/clock files.

But I am very interested in fixing this problem. If somebody can tell me how apache is taking currently handling this I will fix this.

U can least point me to corresponding file/func. I looked at ap_get_gmtoff. This function gives correct value first 2 times and after that it gives wrong value.  It doesn't do much except calling localtime and gmtime.
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]