Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jeffrey J Gaynor/jqhome <jj...@jqhome.net> on 2003/05/28 17:51:47 UTC

General peformance question

Hi,

I am running an AXIS service now under Java (both clients and server).
There has been a request made for allowing largish strings to be sent as
arguments, which will be parsed on the server. I would like to know the
following, as it relates to people's experience:

* Attachments are probably the way to go. Is there a specific size after
which one should use attachments? E.g. If our text objects are maybe a
couple hundred k, do I need to learn about attachments?

* Is there a largest size for attachments, after which there are
performance issues? So if we wanted to send a 15 mb file, would this simply
crawl/crash?

* For arbitrary strings, is it possible for the xml to get munged, so that
the receiving end gets gibberish (e.g., imporperly escaped international
characters)?

I am looking at these with an eye towards how to implement this best and
see what caveats go along with it. If someone has some timings for
transfers, that would be super. As always, any advice is gratefully
received!

Cheers,

Jeff