Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/06 23:46:52 UTC

HOWTO user Memcached with Roller

Here's another post about the Roller caching system:

http://rollerweblogger.org/roller/entry/howto_memcached_with_roller

Feedback is more than welcome.

- Dave

Re: HOWTO user Memcached with Roller

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.

m0llbuz_ wrote:
> Good documentation, thanks.
>
> One question: we have a header on all pages (except in the blog pages)
> with name day and today's date. Because of that I guess we need to flush
> the memcache each midnight, or can we somehow insert data dynamically
> into cached entries?

No, there is no way to insert data into cached pages or feeds.

> If we can do that, we can probably also have one cache for all users, not
> one cache per logged-in user, which IMHO is a flaw in the cache
> mechanism.

Well, I'm not sure it's so much a flaw in the cache as it is a
difference in what kind of content you want to serve.

Cached content is always valid until something changes and the content
needs to be refreshed.  If you are changing your content at least once
per day in order to put the day's date on every page then you need to
invalidate your cache at least once per day to pick up that change.

-- Allen

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?