Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org> on 2010/06/09 19:55:41 UTC

NOTICE/DEPENDENCIES files for Felix subproject releases

With the latest release of the framework and Gogo modules, we've tried
to update the release process for how we handle the NOTICE file. Our
past usage is apparently not aligned with the intended usage, where the
NOTICE file should only contained notices for included third-party
software whose license requires notice. Our new approach (for now) is this:

   1. Include a NOTICE file which contains only required notices.
   2. Include a DEPENDENCIES file which contains our acknowledgments
      about the software the subproject uses.

For the most part, this isn't a major hassle and largely boils down to this:

   1. Rename the current NOTICE file to DEPENDENCIES.
   2. Create a new NOTICE file that contains notices only for the "used"
      software requiring notices in the DEPENDENCIES file.

Although the new DEPENDENCIES file is very similar to the old NOTICE
file, the template is slightly different as indicated here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/DEPENDENCIES+file+template+%28PROPOSED%29

Of course, in the long term we can try to move to automating the
generation of the NOTICE and/or DEPENDENCIES files, which would make our
lives simpler. If any subprojects currently are able to automate this
information, as long as the generated files contain information
consistent with what is proposed here, then the exact formatting is not
that important. But for hand generated files, follow this template.

If you want to see examples, look in the framework or gogo subprojects.

-> richard

p.s. This is obviously all open for discussion to the specifics, but
until then we should use this approach for releases in an effort to
better align with Apache process (with perhaps the exception of Karaf
since if/when it goes TLP then its PMC will decide how to do releases).

Re: Fwd: NOTICE/DEPENDENCIES files for Felix subproject releases

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Justin Edelson
<ju...@justinedelson.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 09.06.2010 20:05, Justin Edelson wrote:
>> > Should we follow Felix's lead here?
>>
>> I don't think so.
>>
>> In Sling we are using the remote resources plugin which manages this all
>> an an ASF compliant way for us. Exceptions (where LICENSE data is not
>> available from the Maven repository) can still be entered manually.
>>
>> As a consequence we already have the correct NOTICE, LICENSE, and
>> DEPENDENCIES files.
>>
> Richard seems to suggest that this automated method isn't good enough. But
> if you think it is, then I'm fine with it.

Iirc, we have some cases in Felix where it is not picking things up
due to the complicated way the artifacts are assembled. AFAIK, we
don't have such cases in sling so we should be fine.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Fwd: NOTICE/DEPENDENCIES files for Felix subproject releases

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: NOTICE/DEPENDENCIES files for Felix subproject releases

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 6/10/10 10:45, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> On the DEPENDENCIES, i guess we should first discuss what we want this file
> to be used for exactly.  "acknowledgments about the software the subproject
> uses" is a bit vague.  Is that at runtime ? compile time ? build-time
> (including maven, plugins and all...) ?  I do think maven is in a good
> position to actually know all the things we need.

Yes, I'm all for automating it and we need to define it more precisely.
The new process in place right now is in effect until we can refine it,
because if we don't just do something then often nothing gets done.
We've had the discussion about automating this before, but didn't really
get very far. :-(

> As for the formatting of the NOTICE file, I don't really get why we wouldn't
> leverage the work that has been done by other people in trying to integrate
> those legal requirements in maven.  Just want to mention that every other
> project using maven I know about use the maven-remote-resources-plugin.
> It's even in the root apache pom iirc.

Again, see above.

> Anyway, looking at the gogo/runtime as an example, I see the following
> NOTICE
> =======
> Apache Felix Gogo Runtime
> Copyright 2010 The Apache Software Foundation
>
> This product includes software developed at
> The Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).
> Licensed under the Apache License 2.0.
>
> This product includes software developed at
> The OSGi Alliance (http://www.osgi.org/).
> Copyright (c) OSGi Alliance (2000, 2009).
> Licensed under the Apache License 2.0.
> =======
> Not sure why we say it *includes* software developped at the OSGi Alliance.
> In that case, nothing comes from the Alliance.

Not really true. As we know, the original packages contributed by Peter
Kriens were org.osgi.service.command, but in an effort to foster our
experimentation and to avoid legal issues, we changed the package name
to org.apache.felix.service.command. Since the original code was
attributed to the OSGi Alliance, I kept that attribution in the NOTICE
file since all I did was rename the package, not replace the code.
Technically, it is not clear if this is necessary or if the original
code was really from the OSGi Alliance or from Peter Kriens personally,
but I did it this way to be safe for now.

> All the classes in the final jar comes from this module, hence from the ASF.
> I think the case where we include software is rare: it's the case when we
> ship an api package, that's mostly it.
>
> I would suggest investigating the use of the maven-remote-resources-plugin
> and keep the DEPENDENCIES file generated by maven.
> I'll try to provide a patch on gogo as an example so that we can discuss
> things further.

Feel free. If we can get something completely automated, I'd be happy,
although I'm still not convinced it will work for every subproject,
e.g., in framework we actually embed the source code of the OSGi API...

-> richard

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 15:52, Richard S. Hall<he...@ungoverned.org>  wrote:
>

>> On 6/10/10 9:47, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>>

>>> I think we should keep the amount of legal files to the bare minimum, i.e.
>>> make sure the LICENSE and NOTICE files are correct wrt the ASF ways of
>>> doing
>>> things.  Anything else is not mandatory and imho, should be removed,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>> things.  Anything else is not mandatory and imho, should be removed,
>> unless
>> generated, to avoid the extra work of maintaining those files for no real
>> added value.
>>

> Not sure to what you are referring, this is exactly what is being done now.
> The DEPENDENCIES file is not a legal file, so that is a non-issue. If you
> are saying you are against acknowledging the software we depend on, then we
> can have that discussion, but it has nothing to do with the legal files.
>
> -> richard
>

>  On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 15:41, Richard S. Hall<he...@ungoverned.org>
>>  wrote:

>>> Yeah, that should probably be upgraded at some point.
>>>

>>>  I think it very classy to acknowledge plugins like this. It just isn't

>>> As I said, we'll have to clear that up...when I find the time, I'll edit

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: NOTICE/DEPENDENCIES files for Felix subproject releases

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 6/9/10 16:49, David Jencks wrote:
> The DEPENDENCIES file is completely optional as far as apache policy is concerned.  I wrote the maven code that generates these with the intention of giving users hints about the other software that would likely be needed to actually use the artifact containing the DEPENDENCIES file.  As such, it only includes (appropriately scoped) dependencies, not all the maven stuff that may have been used to generate the artifact.
>
> Since felix is an osgi based project that uses osgi to hook up bundles, and avoids require-bundle like the plague, and there's no good reason to suppose that the maven dependencies will be the actual providers of the required imports,  a strong case could be made that felix should simply not include DEPENDENCIES files.

There is no real requirement to include DEPENDENCIES other than trying
to acknowledge the other software we use. Even though we avoid
require-bundle, it is still typically possible to know which software we
use, so we just try to be nice and acknowledge it. I was originally
going to call the file ACKNOWLEDGMENTS, but decided to use DEPENDENCIES
so that it would be the same as the generated file if people wanted to
generate it. Ultimately, we could decide to stop doing this, but for now
we do.

-> richard

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 6/9/10 14:52, Justin Edelson wrote:
> Richard-
> Perhaps this is supposed to be obvious, but I think it would be helpful to
> define the term "uses" with respect to the DEPENDENCIES file. IIUC, it
> includes dependencies (in any scope) as well as software executed as part of
> the build (i.e. Maven Plugins), but the inclusion of the latter may not be
> intuitive.

True. We need to be clearer...

-> richard

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.
Richard-

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 6/9/10 14:58, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> Isn't the DEPENDENCIES file genereted by maven?

It can be, but apparently it is buggy and didn't work very well in some
tests...but this is precisely why I leave it open for generation...

-> richard

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 6/15/10 8:11, Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have created FELIX-2411 as a container to fix all our subprojects over
> time.
>
> I have also updated an earlier patch to the parent POM attached to
> FELIX-1747 to use the latest Apache Parent POM 7, which already is
> correctly configured to use the Maven Remote Resources plugin and
> generate valid ASF source artifacts to vote upon.
>
> IMHO we should really be using the Maven Remote Resources plugin to
> generate the legal files.
>
> Regards
> Felix
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-2411
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-1747

Thanks for looking into this Felix.

I played with it a little bit by trying to build framework and OBR with
it...it didn't give me the best results, but this is likely because it
doesn't understand that we are embedding source and or byte code. Any
subproject using BND to embed byte code from other dependencies will
likely not be correct.

So, we could potentially use this to automate information gathering, but
it doesn't help us with the verification. We should probably create some
documentation and perhaps an example on how to use it and augment its
results.

Thanks.

-> richard

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.