Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Web master <we...@malayalamovies.com> on 2001/05/04 19:20:12 UTC

Tomcat is not starting - How to trap the startup error?

Hello,

I am using Tomcat as my server and it was working fine till yesterday.
Somebody was in my system to install bunch of stuff and after that, when
I tried to start the server, it starts and the JAVA console comes and it
disappears in a second,. Since I couldn't see, what was in the console,
I couldn't figure out, what is causing the tomcat not to start.

IS there any way, I can find out why tomcat is not starting. I checked
my CLASSPATH , PATH and server.log nothing helps.

Thank you for your time.

Re: Tomcat is not starting - How to trap the startup error?

Posted by "Noel E. Lecaros" <sp...@mozcom.com>.
Hi, (your-name-here)

Assuming it's Windows, just open a DOS prompt and type the command "startup"
located in the bin subdirectory.  If you get an exception filling up the
console, on NT you can simply increase the window size, reduce the console
screen font, and increase the console buffer.  On Win 9x, you're hosed.

Regards,
Noel Lecaros

Posted by Craig O'Brien <cr...@dynamic-apps.com>.
Sounds like you are using Windows and double clicking on the startup.bat
file????

Open your dos shell.

type java -version <enter    this will confirm the presence of your java
environment with your java version

cd \location\of\tomcat\bin  <enter
startup.bat <enter  (I think its called startup.bat -- confirm this)

your window will stay open and you will get your error messages.

confirm that tomcat is not running by calling the tomcat homepage.
(http://localhost:8080/)  check that a different jdk was not inserted in
your classpath before the one you want. Check that permissions weren't
changed.

Regards,
Craig