Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/07/27 14:57:33 UTC

Release on tuesday?

Hi,

I want to make the 2.1rc1 release on tuesday. I haven't followed
the list this week very closely, but it seems that there are no
outstanding issues. Did I oversee something?

If not, we will finally release the long awaited version this week.

Carsten

Re: Release on tuesday?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 27/07/2003 14:57 Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> I want to make the 2.1rc1 release on tuesday. I haven't followed
> the list this week very closely, but it seems that there are no
> outstanding issues. Did I oversee something?
>
> If not, we will finally release the long awaited version this week.

Let's go for it!

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Release on tuesday?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi dijo:

> On Sunday, Jul 27, 2003, at 15:04 Europe/Rome, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>
>>> I want to make the 2.1rc1 release on tuesday. I haven't followed the
>>> list this week very closely, but it seems that there are no
>>> outstanding issues. Did I oversee something?
>
> No. The vote on the sitemap changes for the pluggable flow
> implementation is lagging behind, I think it's better if we freeze the
> contract now and change it later for Cocoon 2.2, right now it feels
> like there is too many issues on the table.
>
> I don't want to modify it now and then have to modify it yet again in
> the future.

Good choice. Flow can continue his development in the "underground". :)

But once it is finish we need a release. Flow is a big step ahead! As you
sugested it can be 2.2

>> Bugzilla contains 117 unresolved issues.
>
> Point me to *one* project that releases only when there are no
> unresoved issues, Andreas.

Windows. lol. :)

Antonio Gallardo

RE: Release on tuesday?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > I want to make the 2.1rc1 release on tuesday. I haven't followed
> > the list this week very closely, but it seems that there are no
> > outstanding issues. Did I oversee something?
>
> Bugzilla contains 117 unresolved issues.

Yes, I know, but as long as these are not real blockers it will not
prevent us from releasing.

Carsten

Re: Release on tuesday?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On Sunday, Jul 27, 2003, at 15:04 Europe/Rome, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>
>>> I want to make the 2.1rc1 release on tuesday. I haven't followed the
>>> list this week very closely, but it seems that there are no
>>> outstanding issues. Did I oversee something?

+1. Release the baby ;-)

> No. The vote on the sitemap changes for the pluggable flow
> implementation is lagging behind, I think it's better if we freeze the
> contract now and change it later for Cocoon 2.2, right now it feels
> like there is too many issues on the table.
>
> I don't want to modify it now and then have to modify it yet again in
> the future.

Exactly. We need more thinking before knowing exactly _what_ to vote on.
And if changes are to be done, let's do them only once and provide a
backwards-compatible mode with the current state if needed.

Sylvain

RE: Release on tuesday?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> If Carsten decides that none of these open issues is severe
> enough to block
> the release that would be ok with me.

It's not me who decides this, we all ( the community ) decide it.
By sending mails like these I only remind everyone to see if there are
blocking issues. If none pops up (= if noone says so), it means
we (not only I) are not aware of any issues that really have to be
solved before the release.

But the great part of doing the releases is, when something goes wrong,
everyone knows who to blame... ;)

Carsten

Re: Release on tuesday?

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Stefano wrote:

> Point me to *one* project that releases only when there are no
> unresoved issues, Andreas.

"Resolved" does not necessarily imply "fixed". I simply do not know how
severe each of these 117 issues is.

And, yes, I know several proprietary software projects in which all open
issues are resolved before the software is released. And even if I did not
know *one* such project, that would not change my mind - why should it?

If Carsten decides that none of these open issues is severe enough to block
the release that would be ok with me.

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: Release on tuesday?

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On Sunday, Jul 27, 2003, at 15:04 Europe/Rome, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
>
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>
>>> I want to make the 2.1rc1 release on tuesday. I haven't followed
>>> the list this week very closely, but it seems that there are no
>>> outstanding issues. Did I oversee something?
>
> No. The vote on the sitemap changes for the pluggable flow
> implementation is lagging behind, I think it's better if we freeze the
> contract now and change it later for Cocoon 2.2, right now it feels like
> there is too many issues on the table.

I thought that discussion ended with an agreement to release as is
(exactly as you say) and revisit after release.  Reinhard was going out
of town and asked me if I would follow up on the discussion with a vote
but it seemed to have been resolved - maybe I dropped the ball?

Geoff

Re: Release on tuesday?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Sunday, Jul 27, 2003, at 15:04 Europe/Rome, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> I want to make the 2.1rc1 release on tuesday. I haven't followed
>> the list this week very closely, but it seems that there are no
>> outstanding issues. Did I oversee something?

No. The vote on the sitemap changes for the pluggable flow
implementation is lagging behind, I think it's better if we freeze the
contract now and change it later for Cocoon 2.2, right now it feels
like there is too many issues on the table.

I don't want to modify it now and then have to modify it yet again in
the future.

> Bugzilla contains 117 unresolved issues.

Point me to *one* project that releases only when there are no
unresoved issues, Andreas.

> --
Stefano.

Re: Release on tuesday?