Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2011/01/26 19:27:34 UTC

pushing the 3.3.3 bugs

i would really like to get 3.3.3 out because of the fixes that just went in.

there are quite a few bugs that are marked for 3.3.3, but i think they
can all be pushed to 3.4.0.

i would really like to push everything to 3.4.0 and then work on getting
the 3.4.0 release out. we haven't done a release from trunk in a while,
but that is the only code that gets tested by hadoopqa. i think it is a
bad idea to be releasing from branches that are not regularly tested.

going forward doesn't it seem like a better idea to only do a release
from just a branch if it is something that pops up quickly right after a
release. otherwise, we should be releasing from trunk and possibly doing
a simultaneous release from a branch.

ben

Re: pushing the 3.3.3 bugs

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> i would really like to get 3.3.3 out because of the fixes that just went in.
>
> there are quite a few bugs that are marked for 3.3.3, but i think they can
> all be pushed to 3.4.0.

Any non-blocker jiras are always pushed to the next release if they
are not resolved for the current release. What you are describing is
how we always do things. Blockers always hold up the release unless
specifically addressed otherwise (changing the severity or agreeing to
push it to a subsequent release).

> i would really like to push everything to 3.4.0 and then work on getting the
> 3.4.0 release out. we haven't done a release from trunk in a while, but that
> is the only code that gets tested by hadoopqa. i think it is a bad idea to
> be releasing from branches that are not regularly tested.

That sounds fine. However we always maintain a fix branch in parallel
in case something critical (blocker) comes up before the trunk is
ready.

> going forward doesn't it seem like a better idea to only do a release from
> just a branch if it is something that pops up quickly right after a release.
> otherwise, we should be releasing from trunk and possibly doing a
> simultaneous release from a branch.

In theory that's how it should work. However the trunk release has
gotten stalled.

One way to un-stall things is for someone to step up and agree to be
release manager for 3.3.3 and 3.4.0 releases (doesn't have to be the
same person). That person is responsible for determining when the
release is ready, what's in the release, etc...

Patrick

Re: pushing the 3.3.3 bugs

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> this is an interesting read. i'm not a big fan of the even odd numbering
> scheme. i'm also unclear how it work. for example, lets say i signed up to
> be the RM for 3.4.0. i branch, stabilize the code, and then do a release.
> would i also be in charge of 3.4.1? i would hope the answer would be yes. i
> think the RM should have some long term commitment until they decide to
> retire the 3.4 series.

We wouldn't have to adopt everything, just the bits we like.

re 3.4.0 vs 3.4.1, a RM is responsible for a single release. It would
be up to that person to sign up for a subsequent release, or not.
Someone else would have to pickup the ball in that case. Another good
reason for having more committers.

> it would allow things to flow a bit better if the RM pulled patches from
> trunk rather than contributors having to work with two versions of code to
> do a patch. of course that puts more work on the RM.

This is what you were referring to in your follow-up email on this
thread, right? What you are saying here is what the RM would have to
do. Pull patches from trunk to include in the fix release. In some
cases though the RM would be on the hook to get the patch backported
(or do the work themselves). Hopefully this person would work closely
with the community to capture the patches they are interested in, but
eod it's up to the RM what they will include. Of course the PMC could
then reject the release .... etc...

Patrick

> ben
>
> On 01/26/2011 11:30 AM, Patrick Hunt wrote:
>>
>> FYI, this is a _really_ good read, perhaps we should try something like
>> this, at the very least we should document our approach:
>>
>> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html
>>
>> <http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html>Patrick
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Patrick Hunt<ph...@apache.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> One other thing to keep in mind with this model. The RM is responsible
>>> for
>>> backporting (or working with the author to backport) any issues that go

Re: pushing the 3.3.3 bugs

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: pushing the 3.3.3 bugs

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Re: pushing the 3.3.3 bugs

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Re: pushing the 3.3.3 bugs

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>.
sorry, i read your messages backwards. i like your idea.

ben

Re: pushing the 3.3.3 bugs

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Re: pushing the 3.3.3 bugs

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Ben, Your proposal in general sounds reasonable to me with the
exception of "do a release from just a branch if it is something that
pops up quickly right after a
release". I don't see a reason for binding it to time, and instead we
could say that we will have a branch release if:

1- there is an important bug fix that needs to be released
2- we are not close to a trunk release

-Flavio

On Jan 26, 2011, at 7:27 PM, Benjamin Reed wrote:

> i would really like to get 3.3.3 out because of the fixes that just
> went in.
>
> there are quite a few bugs that are marked for 3.3.3, but i think they
> can all be pushed to 3.4.0.
>
> i would really like to push everything to 3.4.0 and then work on
> getting
> the 3.4.0 release out. we haven't done a release from trunk in a
> while,
> but that is the only code that gets tested by hadoopqa. i think it
> is a
> bad idea to be releasing from branches that are not regularly tested.
>
> going forward doesn't it seem like a better idea to only do a release
> from just a branch if it is something that pops up quickly right
> after a
> release. otherwise, we should be releasing from trunk and possibly
> doing
> a simultaneous release from a branch.
>
> ben

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

fpj@yahoo-inc.com
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301