Posted to users@maven.apache.org by leonid_ilyevsky <Le...@ml.com> on 2007/04/11 17:15:35 UTC

Assembly deployment

I am using "mvn assembly:assembly deploy" command to upload my distribution
to the repository.
After that, to deploy it on the target machine, I use a simple Perl script
that downloads the assembly using http and then unpacks it.
Seems that this is pretty convenient thing, and my distributions are under
maven control, with names, versions, etc.

I had a discussion with my colleague, and he says that this usage of Maven
may be not appropriate, that Maven should be used for libraries and not for
executable packages.

I would like to hear what maven community thinks about this.

Another question: is there a way to download and unpack the assembly using
Maven? This would be more organized way for deployment.

Re: Assembly deployment

Posted by Patrick Schneider <ps...@gmail.com>.
IMO, what you are doing sounds reasonable.

Could you use Ant instead of Perl to deploy on the target machine?  If so,
you could wrap your Ant script up with the maven-antrun-plugin.  You also
might look at the Cargo plugin (http://cargo.codehaus.org) if your project
is deployed to a container.

Patrick