Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2007/03/20 20:58:17 UTC

[axis2] Continuum build and JAXWS

Anyone know what's going on there?  Me no likely build failures. :)

Since the JAXWS stuff is going to be experimental in this next release
anyway, would it perhaps make sense to have one "main" build that does
not include the JAXWS module, and then an "advanced" build that does?
Then we can roll it into the main build after 1.2?  Thoughts?

--Glen

Re: [axis2] Continuum build and JAXWS

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Asankha C. Perera wrote:
> The unit test should always pass.. else more commits may go on adding to
> the already broken build. Else we must selectively remove the tests that
> we do not consider as critical for the release as Glen suggests. The
> build must not be broken, and even if it happens, it shouldn't be for
> more than a day at most..

Agreed.  A little more commentary:

There is the core system (Axis2), and then there is stuff built around
and on top of that (Sandesha, Rampart, etc - and I would put JAXWS into
this category, though that might be naive).  The unit tests in the core
system *should* completely exercise all the functionality that the
higher layers depend on... *without* having to actually use those higher
layers as the tests themselves.

In other words - if something that gets changed in Axis2 passes the
Axis2 build tests, but breaks Rampart, then either a) Rampart was
incorrectly using an Axis2 component, or b) the Axis2 tests were missing
something.  In either case the unit tests should be vetted each time
this happens with any of our higher-level partners.

The way to keep this all happening is with Continuum/Gump/etc - there
should be a "core" build which is as fast as possible, and which ONLY
runs the unit tests for the core (remember, those tests should be
fleshed out whenever it's discovered that some other component relies
upon functionality for which there is not yet a unit test).  That's the
standard "developer build".  Then there is the "integration build" which
tests the newly built Axis2 in context with everything else - this is
where Sandesha, Rampart, etc. etc. all get tested.  I would think JAXWS
would go in that bucket too, but maybe not?

When something breaks the integration build, we decide how to deal,
usually by fixing the external component or by adding a new unit test to
Axis2.

Does that sound about right to folks?

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
+1

The unit test should always pass.. else more commits may go on adding to
the already broken build. Else we must selectively remove the tests that
we do not consider as critical for the release as Glen suggests. The
build must not be broken, and even if it happens, it shouldn't be for
more than a day at most..

asankha

Posted by Lahiru Sandakith <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

modified the code on WSDL20ToAxisServiceBuilder to fix the build.  There has
been some inconsistency with the latest woden.

Thanks

Sandakith

On 3/21/07, Nicholas L Gallardo <nl...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Looks like this might be related to some changes that were made to the
> SchemaGenerator recently.  Still tracing this down, will have more info in
> the morning.
>
> Thanks,
> -Nick
>

>  *Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>*
>
> 03/20/2007 03:38 PM  Please respond to
> axis-dev@ws.apache.org

> axis-dev@ws.apache.org  cc
>
>  Subject
> Re: [axis2] Continuum build and JAXWS
>

> Nicholas L Gallardo wrote:
> > [...]
> > I'll update the list when I figure out what's up.
>
> Thanks Nick!
>
> --G

Regards
Lahiru Sandakith

Re: [axis2] Continuum build and JAXWS

Posted by Nicholas L Gallardo <nl...@us.ibm.com>.
Fixed.

-Nick

Nicholas L Gallardo/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
03/21/2007 12:27 PM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

axis-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [axis2] Continuum build and JAXWS

The JAXWS tests were broken by the change in rev: 519539.  I reverted that
in my sandbox and all is well.  Looking at the JAXWS portion now to see
what needs to change.

-Nick

Nicholas L Gallardo/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
03/21/2007 01:19 AM

Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

axis-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject

Posted by Nicholas L Gallardo <nl...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by Nicholas L Gallardo <nl...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Nicholas L Gallardo <nl...@us.ibm.com>.
Sorry...

s/In these sort/In the past these sort/

still learning to speak Inglich.
-Nick

Nicholas L Gallardo/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
03/20/2007 03:38 PM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

axis-dev@ws.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: [axis2] Continuum build and JAXWS

I just did a clean pull and found a failure under the SOAP12 Dispatch
tests.  The endpoint is not being deployed properly.  This could be due to
a number of things.  In these sort of things have been a result of
deployment changes that were built with Java 1.4.x and not 1.5 so the
JAX-WS tests were not run.

I'll update the list when I figure out what's up.

Thanks,
-Nick

Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>
03/20/2007 02:58 PM