Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/07/14 05:09:59 UTC

man of the month

It's been one of those weeks - a flame fest about nothing less than the
subject of what is Avalon. The old guard, and new guard, the vision, the
legacy.  Within this I've felt somewhat trapped in defending the vision
but out of the process one individual has cut to the chase.  Timothy
Bennett has clearly differentiated the old from the new - the future
from the past.

Timothy Bennett posted a clear encapsulation of where we are.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=108973390815471&w=2

The old guard - pay attention and don't dismiss Timothy's contribution.
  Chances are he'll, be the next chair of Avalon.

Cheers, Stephen.

Re: man of the month

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>>'avant-garde' is *not* 'new guard.'  it refers to those interested/involved
>>>in new and experimental things at the forefront of a movement.
>>
>>Yes - the forefront of a movement that is changing the definition of
>>what Avalon is.  We agree - 'avant-garde' is not 'new-guard' but without
>>a doubt the 'new-guard' is most certainly 'avant-garde'.
>
> no, we evidently do not agree.  the avant-garde doesn't change the
> definition.

Again it seems we are thrown into agreement.

I would suggest that it is the community that is changing the definition
as a consequence of a movement.  The movement is about component based
development.  The 'avant-garde' aspect (as an adjective) nicely
encapsulates the notion of movement into new territories - going beyond
the classic.  In my mind Timothy's usage of 'avant-garde' as a noun in
this context is an eloquent play on the origin of the word.

Stephen.

Re: man of the month

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: man of the month

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>

>>It's been one of those weeks - a flame fest about nothing less than the
>>subject of what is Avalon. The old guard, and new guard, the vision, the
>>legacy.
>

> i'm not sure whether timothy meant to use the term 'avant-garde' or not,
> or if you're misinterpreting what it means or not, or what.
>
> 'avant-garde' is *not* 'new guard.'  it refers to those interested/involved
> in new and experimental things at the forefront of a movement.

Yes - the forefront of a movement that is changing the definition of
what Avalon is.  We agree - 'avant-garde' is not 'new-guard' but without
a doubt the 'new-guard' is most certainly 'avant-garde'.

:-)

Stephen.

Re: man of the month

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.