Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com> on 2003/03/12 05:10:49 UTC

Goodbye Workbench Chart page?

The current discussions on Incubator list indicate that not only is Tapestry
not allowed to have LGPL frameworks in CVS or in the distribution, but it
can't import a package from LGPL or use an LGPL API.

That's not a terrible deal; there are alternate places to get the J2EE APIs
needed to build Tapestry and the examples.

The pain currently is in the Workbench:  it uses JFreeChart to produce the
pie chart.  That's going to have to go.

I really like having this Chart page as part of the examples; does anyone
have spare cycles to come up with a quick-n-dirty replacement for
JFreeChart?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components

Re: Goodbye Workbench Chart page?

Posted by Luis Neves <ln...@netcabo.pt>.
On Wednesday 12 March 2003 04:10, Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:

> The pain currently is in the Workbench:  it uses JFreeChart to produce the
> pie chart.  That's going to have to go.

Please don't. It's a very important piece of the Workbench

> I really like having this Chart page as part of the examples; does anyone
> have spare cycles to come up with a quick-n-dirty replacement for
> JFreeChart?

JCharts has a BSD license:
http://jcharts.sourceforge.net/

Is that acceptable?
If so I will try to change the code to use JCharts during the following
weekend.

Best regards,
Luis Neves

Re: Goodbye Workbench Chart page?

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Ahh but make sure you're not like doing anything illegal with what you
distribute there or Apache can be implicated.  I'd be particularly
careful about GPL and SCSL/etc (sun licenses)

-Andy

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
I still feel it is very import to have easy-to-run local demos (especially
since we don't really seem to have an up-to-date, live demo anywhere).  I
mean, how hard are you going to work if you just receive a lump of code that
doesn't do anything?