Posted to dev@ripple.apache.org by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/08 02:49:37 UTC

[Discuss] Ripple Server Middleware

We had a fork a little while ago that added the ability to have custom
middleware for the Ripple server [1].

Basically when adding path's to the ripple server it would detect the
presence of a ripple-middleware.js file and require and load it into the
express app.

This is an amazing feature and would give us a lot of power for integrating
in some third party plugins and extensions.

I am thinking we should take inspiration from this commit and create a
middleware injection system for ripple.

I would think we need to support global middleware (loaded for every
project) as well as project based middleware (loaded from a file in the
project folder, much like the pull request does now)

Starting this thread to talk about high level design goals for this feature
as well as debating if it is required.

Usecases:

- Custom route overrides
- Browserifying content
- Other fun stuff
- Simulating Lagging of content. This would be awesome!

[1] -
https://github.com/DamonOehlman/incubator-ripple/commit/f35ae027c9c605983d63a2d8a741fc148f804a77

Re: [Discuss] Ripple Server Middleware

Posted by Damon Oehlman <da...@fluxant.com>.
Thanks Christian,

I'll definitely do what I can to assist. Hoping that I can get some time
soon to look at this.

Cheers,
Damon.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Damon,

> [...]

>>> express app.
>>>
>>> This is an amazing feature and would give us a lot of power for
>>> integrating
>>> in some third party plugins and extensions.
>>>
>>> I am thinking we should take inspiration from this commit and create
>>> middleware injection system for ripple.
>>>
>>> I would think we need to support global middleware (loaded for every
>>> project) as well as project based middleware (loaded from a file in
>>> the
>>> project folder, much like the pull request does now)
>>>
>>> Starting this thread to talk about high level design goals for this
>>> feature
>>> as well as debating if it is required.
>>>
>>> Usecases:
>>>
>>> - Custom route overrides
>>> - Browserifying content
>>> - Other fun stuff
>>> - Simulating Lagging of content. This would be awesome!

---
http://www.grobmeier.de
@grobmeier
GPG: 0xA5CC90DB

Re: [Discuss] Ripple Server Middleware

Posted by Gord Tanner <gt...@gmail.com>.
Awesome!

I am thinking we need to provide 3 ways to inject in middleware for ripple:

- .ripple folder in the project's folder (containing a middleware directory
that we can load the plugins)
- a middleware folder in the ripple install dir (not sure if we can do this
with npm) that will load for every project
- Programatically for people who are using the ripple server as part of
their existing express server.  This may take a little refactoring of our
server code to allow joining to an existing server component.

Posted by Damon Oehlman <da...@fluxant.com>.
Hey Guys,

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.