Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@osf.org> on 1996/05/01 01:15:45 UTC

apache1.1b2 & libperl.a

I'm working on two apache modules (mod_perl and mod_auth_dbi),  both of
which embed Perl interpreters. Up until today had I had built against 1.0.5
sources.  I'm working with 1.1b2 now, and have run into a major problem.

there's 2 symbols in libperl.a that now show up in apache's object files.

/bin/ld: Duplicate symbol "usage",
files http_main.o and [snip path]libperla(perl.o)

from 1.0.5 sources:
% nm http_main.o | grep usage
apacha_usage        |         0|extern|entry  |$CODE$

from 1.1b2
% nm http_main.o | grep usage
usage               |         0|extern|entry  |$CODE$

---

/bin/ld: Duplicate symbol "die",
files http_request.o and [snip path]libperl.a(pp_ctl.o)

from 1.0.5 sources:
% nm http_request.o | grep die
decl_die            |      2568|static|entry  |$CODE$
apache_die          |      2280|extern|entry  |$CODE$

from 1.1b2 sources:
% nm http_request.o | grep die
die                 |      2776|extern|entry  |$CODE$
decl_die            |      3088|static|entry  |$CODE$

---

from libperl.a we can see:
die                 |      9488|extern|entry  |$CODE$
usage               |      9028|extern|entry  |$CODE$

I don't think die & usage should be visible in libperl.a,
but, short-term I think it would be much easier to change apache 1.1bx while
it's in beta.  I'm guessing this wouldn't be much work, but I haven't looked
yet...

-Doug

Re: apache1.1b2 & libperl.a

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@osf.org>.
On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Doug> I don't think die & usage should be visible in libperl.a, but,
> Doug> short-term I think it would be much easier to change apache
> Doug> 1.1bx while it's in beta.  I'm guessing this wouldn't be much
> Doug> work, but I haven't looked yet...
>
> Are you building Perl with -DEMBED?  You should do this.  And make
> sure you have 5.002_01 -- I think it fixed some problems in the EMBED
> support.

That's right!  Man, all those messages on the perl5-porters list never
stay with me for long.  Not to mention, it tells you this in the INSTALL
doc.  What's real nice about 5.002_01 is EMBED is defined by default.  So,
people like me who install with 'sh Configure -des' and don't read the
INSTALL doc, don't have to worry about this :)

> Tell me if it works -- I'm very interested in mod_perl.

Well, the namespace fights are over thanks to you Tom, but I need to make
some minor changes since rprintf and a few other things have gone away or
changed (my fault for not checking out the 1.1 betas sooner).

-Doug

Re: apache1.1b2 & libperl.a