Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by David Pisoni <da...@cnation.com> on 2001/09/26 03:58:25 UTC

method POST, STDIN, input record separator

Hello all,

Long time no chat.

I've found what appears to be a problem in mod_perl --
I am using mod_perl 1.26 with Apache 1.3.20, on RH Linux 7.1 (kernel
2.4.3).
It appears that when I use <STDIN> (or STDIN->getline(), for that
matter) to read input from a POST that the input record separator is
not respected on input. In other words, if I write :

  $line = <STDIN>;

$line will be equal to the entire POST data, newlines and all.  Even
if I explicitly write :

  local $/ = "\n";
  $line = <STDIN>;

I get the same results.

Anyone else run into this problem?  Workaround? (Other than
re-implementing getline() with a character-by-character read.)

David Pisoni

"What is to give light must endure burning." - Viktor Frankl, author,
neurologist and psychiatrist, Holocaust survivor (1905-1997)