Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com> on 2006/06/28 00:44:39 UTC

Top Posting: Re: using confluence as the official ofbiz.org site?

David E. Jones wrote:
>> people still think that top-posting is a good thing to do.  I just don't
>> of speech.  Documents all follow a top-down layout of information.  Yet
>> Why do people use top-posting?  It doesn't follow with the natural flow
>
> If there is a conversational flow, the in-line replies are great,
> especially for multiple thoughts on multiple "threads" in a single
> email. It's way efficient, and cool. If you're responding in a more
> general way and to a single thought I think in-line posting is bloody
> annoying. Especially if someone replies to a long message way down at
> the bottom and you have to scroll all over the place to see what the
> reply looks like.

Well, generally top-posters don't do editting of the email before
sending their response.  They just add their 2 bits at the top, and keep
the *entire* previous conversation underneath.  Certainly, in that
sense, scrolling thru the entire email body would be tedious.

Proper email etiquette would trim down the email, before commenting.
This is when you see things like [snip] inside the standard '> ' that
preceeds a response.  It also saves bandwidth, and the email comes out
smaller.

For example, I deleted most of your email, as it has become 2 threads.
I also changed the topic slightly, while still leaving enough for those
who only use subject sorting to know that the thread has changed gears.

Re: Top Posting: Re: using confluence as the official ofbiz.org site?

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.
Adrian Crum wrote:
> I've followed the suggested etiquette. Now future readers of this email
> will have to scroll through lists of emails to find the context of our
> conversation. Will that be easier? Probably not.

Because you snipped poorly, and didn't add anything to the conversation.

Re: Top Posting: Re: using confluence as the official ofbiz.org site?

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Adam Heath wrote:
> David E. Jones wrote:
>
>>> people still think that top-posting is a good thing to do.  I just don't
>>> of speech.  Documents all follow a top-down layout of information.  Yet
>>> Why do people use top-posting?  It doesn't follow with the natural flow

[snip]