Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Justin Smith <js...@mcs.drexel.edu> on 2003/04/29 16:49:47 UTC

Server intermittantly refuses to display jsp's

I'm running Apache 2.0, Tomcat 4.1.24 and mod-jk2 on a Redhat linux 9.0
system.

The configuration (workers2.properties and jk2.properties) is the
default minimal one listed in the documentation pages for mod_jk2.

Every once in a while (after a page hasn't been accessed in a while) I
get the message
Server error!

        The server encountered an internal error and was unable to
        complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there
        was an error in a CGI script.

        If you think this is a server error, please contact the
        webmaster

Error 500

        vorpal.mcs.drexel.edu

Reloading the page solves the problem (!). The only error message in
error_log is
---------------------------------------
 workerEnv.init() create slot epStat.5 failed
[Tue Apr 29 10:33:14 2003] [error] mod_jk.handler() Error connecting to
tomcat 21000
This is a major problem because the site is used for class information
to be read by very computer-illiterate (even computer-hostile) students
who give up if the first attempt to access the page fails.

Any suggestions?

Re: Server intermittantly refuses to display jsp's

Posted by Justin Smith <js...@mcs.drexel.edu>.
On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 10:49, Justin Smith wrote:
> I'm running Apache 2.0, Tomcat 4.1.24 and mod-jk2 on a Redhat linux 9.0
> system.
>
> The configuration (workers2.properties and jk2.properties) is the
> default minimal one listed in the documentation pages for mod_jk2.

I think I've solved this problem. I declared shared memory in

workers2.properties

and the problem appears to have gone away.

If this is a fix, I think the standard minimal example configurations
should be updated to include this (with, maybe, a comment saying that
this is needed for Apache). In general, mod_jk2 is very poorly
documented so that it is hard to figure this out from the documentation.

RE: Server intermittantly refuses to display jsp's

Posted by Jan Behrens <ja...@diekleinedomain.de>.
I am making a guess only, but is there a chance that Tomcat recompiles these
jsp's when you first try to access them and that Apache simply times out
because of the compilation time? Have you tried precompilling all jsp's?

Jan