Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Paul <yd...@yahoo.com> on 2000/06/24 00:21:03 UTC

[OT]Centralized Signal Handling

Hi, all.

I've started writing a module which I hope to be able to release to
CPAN, and would welcome any input.  The inspiration for this module was
an attempt to prevent problems that might arise from modules
overwriting each other's signal handlers *without_even_knowing*. (I
know it would be better for a module to avoid writing signal handlers,
but sometimes it's reasonably important to do so.)

To pad this effect a bit, I'm tie()'ing %SIG to a package that can make
%SIG proprietary (un-Perl-ish paranoia, but control sometimes requires
a bottleneck), allows the stacking of signal handlers, and provides for
handlers to receive additional arguments. Basically, just supplying
some tools that came to mind as I contemplated the problem.

Suggestions? Questions? Criticisms? Pokes to the eye with sharp sticks
for being an idiot? :o]

Thanks for the time and bandwidth.

Paul

http://mail.yahoo.com/