Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Hare, Michael" <Mi...@fnc.fujitsu.com> on 2004/09/10 18:37:42 UTC

Issue Running Current Forrest Dev under Tomcat 5

Hi,

I am coming from the Forrest Mailing List.
I noticed that forrest 0.6 was causing a problem when trying to access the Tomcat homepage.

I first noticed the problem with Tomcat 5.0.27 (I never tried anything earlier), but it carries through to 5.0.28 and 5.5.1
(I am currently using Windows XP, SunJava 1.5.0 and Tomcat 5.5.1)

If I put the WAR file generated by Forrest 0.6 into the webapps dir, Tomcat will unravel the war and I can even access the Forrest site.
However if I try to access the Tomcat Homepage (http://mysite.com:8080/index.jsp), the JSP Samples or the Servlet Examples, I get an HTTP:404 error.

If I remove the war file and the unraveled webapp and restart Tomcat, I can once again access the Tomcat Homepage.

I should say that Forrest 0.5.1 does not cause this behavior with Tomcat. Everything works fine.

I have taken several stderr.log snapshots, before the forrest 0.6 installation, with forrest 0.6 installed and with forrest 0.5.1 installed.

Right off the bat, starting Tomcat with forrest 0.6 war in webapps causes the stderr.log to grow 130KB rather than 3KB without forrest.
The stderr.log is full of various errors:

<snip>
Sep 10, 2004 9:49:10 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost start
INFO: XML validation disabled
Logging Error: Could not set up Cocoon Logger, will use screen instead
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: cannot create FileTarget
<snip>
NFO: Cache file root directory: C:\Programs\ApacheGroup\Tomcat5\work\Catalina\localhost\ForrestExamples\cocoon-files
Sep 10, 2004 9:49:23 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester endElement
SEVERE: End event threw exception
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor22.invoke(Unknown Source)
<snip>
ep 10, 2004 9:49:23 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig processDefaultWebConfig
SEVERE: Parse error in default web.xml
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogKitLogger (Caused by java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogKitLogger) (Caused by org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogKitLogger (Caused by java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogKitLogger))
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java:2746)
<snip>

and so on.. These do not appear if forrest 0.6 is not in the picture.

Can anyone help me determine the root cause for this problem?

Thanks,

Mike