Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Ma...@ovid.com on 2001/05/01 18:35:06 UTC

Re: Turning off entity resolution for multiple parsings, also - Re: dom-parser

>From "udo polder"<ud...@epunkt.com>:
>does anyone know how to tell the dom-parser not to expand entities.

>From Cam.Fordyce@lhsl.com:
>I have a problem with entity parsing and resolution. Basically, I don't
>want it to happen. My documents are parsed many times during their
>lifecycle, and I want the entities, usually just characters converted to
>entities (e.g. degree symbol --> &deg;), to remain in the latter form
until
>the very last parse by the parser when they would be converted to a
unicode
>encoding.

This seems to be a popular question to ignore.  We need it too.  We do a
lot of processing on documents multiple times and would like to keep the
entities un-resolved until final presentation.  It seems that there are
more companies than just us that have similar processes and could really
use this.  What would it take to defer regular entity expansion?  It seems
to happen at a pretty low level when the document is being read, and
doesn't matter if you're using a DOM or SAX parser.  Any pointers to any
code I/other interested parties could look at?

Thanks,

Matt Olsen
Programmer
Ovid Technologies
(801)304-3372

PS - how we currently handle the problem is to put entries like this in our
dtd:
<!ENTITY etal "&#38;#38;etal;">
&etal; will resolve to &etal;