Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Blake Watson <bl...@pnmac.com> on 2018/03/24 00:56:52 UTC

Adding a function or two...

I was going to try adding functions to POI (IFNA seems like a likely first
shot). I've imported the sources from the ZIP (NetBeans) and I can build
and run tests. But I don't see where the source code for the tests is. (I
assume I start with the tests...)

Also open to any suggestions for...whatever.
--

*Blake Watson*

*PNMAC*
Application Development Manager
5898 Condor Drive
Moorpark, CA 93021
(805) 330.4911 x7742
blake.watson@pnmac.com
www.PennyMacUSA.com <http://www.pennymacusa.com/>

Re: Adding a function or two...

Posted by Ross Patterson <ro...@gmail.com>.
It's been a few years since Blake was going to try implementing IFNA(), and it appears not to have happened.  I needed it, and I have an implementation, but I'm having problems with testing it.  I've got a unit test (TestIfna.java), built similarly to lots of other function tests, and it passes.  But my attempt to test using IFNA() in a spreadsheet (TestIfnaFromSpreadsheet.java) acts as if the function isn't defined:

Testcase: org.apache.poi.ss.formula.functions.TestIfnaFromSpreadsheet
Test: processFunctionRow(String, String, HSSFSheet, int, HSSFFormulaEvaluator, int)[1] took 140 milli sec(s) FAILED: In IfnaTestCaseData.xls Ifna!B5 {=_xlfn.IFNA(E5,F5)} 'An N/A value' - exception in evaluator.evaluate(evalCell): org.apache.poi.ss.formula.eval.NotImplementedException: Error evaluating cell Ifna!B5 with inner exception: org.apache.poi.ss.formula.eval.NotImplementedFunctionException: _xlfn.IFNA
org.apache.poi.ss.formula.eval.NotImplementedFunctionException: _xlfn.IFNA
..

This is a surprise, because I've updated FunctionEval.java and functionMetadata.txt to define it.  I followed the "Developing Formula Evaluation" instructions at https://poi.apache.org/components/spreadsheet/eval-devguide.html, but I've clearly missed a step.  Where should I be looking?  Is there a decent example of a patch that adds a new function?

FYI, I'm working with the 5.0.0 code from GitHub, because I can't get the trunk to build in Eclipse.  I figure when I'm done, I can patch the changes over to trunk and submit the patch to the project.

Ross

Re: Adding a function or two...

Posted by Blake Watson <bl...@pnmac.com>.
Cool! Thanks for the info!