Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2005/06/16 04:47:31 UTC

Wild idea ?

I'm not sure about how many folks are travelling to Java One but for those who are going and are adventurous at heart I thought I'd throw out a suggestion that we get a group together to jump out of a perfectly good airplane and yell Geronimo ;-)

I grew up in Southern California and had the opportunity to skydive in Parris Valley and had an awesome time.  I did Accelerated Free Fall (2 jumps) and it was excellent.  I did a little research and found a place located about an hour North of San Francisco that offers three types of sky diving opportunities.  The first is a Tandem jump where you jump out of the plane strapped to a person who is hopefully more knowledgable than youself about pulling the chute and landing.  The second is called Accellerated Freefall and takes about 6 hours of instruction.  You jump with two experienced folks hanging on to you and you pull your own rip cord and guide yourself down 4500 feet to the ground.  The final option is a static line pull where you jump out all by yourself at 3000 feet and the chute is pulled right when you jump.  You don't get a good 40 seconds of freefall but for many 4 seconds may be all they like ;-)

Anyway, if anyone is interested you can ping me offline and if we get a small group of folks I'll pull together the logistics for sometime during Java One.  The various otions vary in expense but the website didn't have prices.  The most economical would be tandem or static and definitely the faster of the options.

Put your eyeballs back in your head, take a deep breath, and say, Geeeerrrrrooooonnnnniiiiiimmmmmmooooooooooo

- Matt

Re: Wild idea ?

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> I'm not sure about how many folks are travelling to Java One but for
> those who are going and are adventurous at heart I thought I'd throw
> out a suggestion that we get a group together to jump out of a
> perfectly good airplane and yell Geronimo ;-)
> Put your eyeballs back in your head, take a deep breath, and say,
> Geeeerrrrrooooonnnnniiiiiimmmmmmooooooooooo

I'm not going to J1 and won't meet y'all over there, but I'll be with
you whole-heartedly. Perhaps, one day I'll jump out, but since I'm too
faint-hearted it won't happen soon. Not at J1 definitely.

It's nice you wrote about it as I spent almost whole day reading
technical emails and when it came to taking a look at your email I
thought about completely different in its wilderness. What a nice idea
for anyone out there. Take some pictures so anyone who couldn't join
would feel it as mnuch as you will.

> - Matt

Jacek