Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org> on 2014/03/31 11:34:41 UTC

Dropping Java 6 Support?

Hi All

Andy raised an interesting point recently that historically the Jena project
has only guaranteed to maintain compatibility with the 2 most recent
versions of Java.  As of the recent Java 8 release this means that Java 6 is
technically now outside of the range of versions that we intend to maintain
compatibility with.

Dropping of Java 6 support is not going to happen overnight so this email is
intended to serve as advance notice that this will happen at some point in
the future and to request feedback on this.  Note that it is likely that in
the short term code will remain Java 6 compatible and so a workaround after
Java 6 support is dropped will be to build from source yourself

Are there people out there who are currently reliant on Java 6 and cannot
move to Java 7/8 for whatever reason?  If so what sort of timescale would
you consider reasonable for dropping Java 6 support?

Thanks for your feedback,

Rob

Re: Dropping Java 6 Support?

Posted by Tim Harsch <ha...@yahoo.com>.
correction: building from source, with Java 6.   I'm guessing byte code compatibility of the different versions is the same.

Re: Dropping Java 6 Support?

Posted by Tim Harsch <ha...@yahoo.com>.
Rob,

Re: Dropping Java 6 Support?