Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/09 11:27:54 UTC

About the QuickStart (was Re: First Day Disgust!)

On Sunday, September 9, 2007, 8:55:35 AM, chickabee <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I looked into Maven and did all the Quick-Start exercise, I have the
> application up and running using Maven. Quick Start has following obvious
> flaws:

> 1. It is based on Maven. (I am not apache community with 25 projects running
> in parallel, I just want to make a small app using wicket. Maven is
> overkill).

  Really? I assume you're suggesting Ant as an alternative - Why don't
  you try documenting the steps you'd need to download the various
  jars and requirements and see which is simpler.

  No cheating by saying 'download a complete meta jar', as we don't
  want the extra work and legal issues involved in trying to
  redistribute third-party apps. You can/should avoid having the user
  re-download any jars that they might have used in other projects
  built with the same tool though.

  Remember your goal is to be simpler than "1) Install Maven, 2)
  Create project via "mvn archetype ...", 3) Build & run project via
  "mvn jetty:run".

> 2. It favors Jetty. ( Why even say Jetty, pom.xml has jetty dependencies
> defined. )

  It includes a support class under src/test/java to help with
  debugging the web-app via an embedded Jetty instance, true. There's
  nothing that favours Jetty apart from that dedicated support class
  in the QuickStart, though.

> 3. It depends on log4j. (Newer JDK have all the logging features needed. )

  The specific dependency in use in Wicket generally is actually the
  SLF4J framework, which allows/requires the end-user to choose the
  actual logging implementation.  For the QuickStart we used log4j, as
  most developers would be familiar with it but it's trivial to change
  - you do have to choose something, though.

> 4. Advises the user to follow test driven development. (I want to be a bad
> developer, is that okay?).

  No comment...

> All above default integrations and suggestions are unnecessary and undermine
> Wicket and make it less appealing to Non-Wicketers and possible adopters of
> this great phenomenon.

  Without them, you don't get a running application with a 3 steps,
  one of which being to install Maven, which is the critical bit to
  convince people that yes, it /is/ that simple to get started!

/Gwyn