Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Sonali Agrahari <so...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/16 04:08:07 UTC

How to resolve CSRF attack

Hello all,

  I am using OFBiz 12.04 version in my application.
  When logged in to the application as admin user and open web mail in
another browser , suppose we received a mail  which have link
http://xyz.com/activate.html .
The links points to html file as :

 <head>

</head>
  <form action =
"https://localhost:8443/catalog/control/CreateProductCategory" name = "f1"
id = "f1" method = "post">
     <input type = "hidden" name = "sectorName" id = "sectorName" value =
"SECTOR" >
      <input type = "hidden" name = "productName" id = "productName" value =
"PRODUCT" >
  </form>

The user clicks on this link while he has logged on to the application. As
the crafted form is doing a post request in a valid session, the requested
post gets executed and result will be displayed i.e. all values will be
inserted in database properly.
And the link gets opened in other tab of same browser.

How can resolve this type of vulnerability.
Kindly help.

Thanks & regards
Sonali

--
Sent from: http://ofbiz.135035.n4.nabble.com/OFBiz-User-f135036.html

Re: How to resolve CSRF attack

Posted by Chris Clark <ri...@gmail.com>.
Ahh ok makes sense, you know to first sign up for the list serv before you
hit it up xD...

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Chris Clark <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Paul,

I tried hard to use it 9 months ago but did not succeed.

I even then inadvertently committed my then WIP work and then removed it at http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1799243

I also tried the Tomcat RestCsrfPreventionFilter see my comment in OFBIZ-6766 at https://s.apache.org/ndCd

BTW (loosely related) when I worked on Ajax+JWT+CORS (OFBIZ-10307) I tried to use the Tomcat CORS Filter
<https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/filter.html#CORS_Filter> but finally gave up.

It's maybe possible to use these filters the right way.

But like I did for securing cookies (OFBIZ-6655 https://s.apache.org/4bnJ http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1809687) I prefer to
handle it in our code and not depends on Tomcat for that.

YMMV

Sorry for he plain links in text, I have no time to play with [#] link stuff :)

Jacques

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Hi Michael,

I would say it is a vulnerability. OFBiz could make this distinction if we
add a hidden field to each form with a unique hash, and verify the hash is
correct when processing a POST. A spoofed form wouldn't have the right hash.

We are already using some of the OWASP (Open Web Application Security
Project, owasp.org) classes. They also have a library for CSRF prevention:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_CSRFGuard_Project . Would
this be useful?

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

On 16 April 2018 at 19:22, Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de> wrote:

> Hi Sonali,
>
> this is not a vulnerability.
>
> You are logged in and posting a request from the same browser with the
> same session. There is no chance for OFBiz to make a distiction between a
> request initiated from an OFBiz generated page or any other page (like your
> webmail) from the same browser/session.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
>

> Am 16.04.18 um 06:08 schrieb Sonali Agrahari:
>
> Hello all,
>>
>>    I am using OFBiz 12.04 version in my application.
>>    When logged in to the application as admin user and open web mail in
>> another browser , suppose we received a mail  which have link
>> http://xyz.com/activate.html .
>> The links points to html file as :

>>   <head>
>>    </head>
>>    <form action =
>> "https://localhost:8443/catalog/control/CreateProductCategory" name =
>> "f1"
>> id = "f1" method = "post">
>>       <input type = "hidden" name = "sectorName" id = "sectorName" value =
>> "SECTOR" >
>>        <input type = "hidden" name = "productName" id = "productName"
>> value =
>> "PRODUCT" >
>>    </form>

>> The user clicks on this link while he has logged on to the application. As
>> the crafted form is doing a post request in a valid session, the requested
>> post gets executed and result will be displayed i.e. all values will be
>> inserted in database properly.
>> And the link gets opened in other tab of same browser.
>>
>> How can resolve this type of vulnerability.
>> Kindly help.
>>

>> Thanks & regards
>> Sonali
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://ofbiz.135035.n4.nabble.com/OFBiz-User-f135036.html

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: info@coherentsoftware.com.au

Re: How to resolve CSRF attack

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Sonali,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@Les7Arts.com>.
Hi  Sonali,

Your last email has been moderated again
http://ofbiz.135035.n4.nabble.com/MODERATE-EMAIL-How-to-resolve-CSRF-attack-td4721783.html
The 1st one being https://markmail.org/message/jmkabexchsb7cvl2 4 months
ago.

Please, as Nabble also suggests you, consider to subscribe to the user ML
http://ofbiz.apache.org/mailing-lists.html.
You will get a better support, it's more fair to share with everybody there
and it's less work for moderators (thanks Deepak).
The wider the audience the better the answers you might get!
Thanks

This said, when I'll get a chance I'll try to answer you. But you should
know that OFBiz 12.04 is no longer supported (it's 6 years old) so it's
possible that this issue is fixed in newer releases but has not been
backported in 12.04. The last supported release is 16.11.04
https://ofbiz.apache.org/download.html

Hope this helps while waiting for a better answer (again subscribing will
help ;))

Jacques

--
Sent from: http://ofbiz.135035.n4.nabble.com/OFBiz-User-f135036.html