Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Salikh Zakirov <Sa...@Intel.com> on 2006/11/24 12:17:16 UTC

[launcher] disable exception handler Was: [drlvm][classlib unit tests] iterative runs

Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
> The most clean approach is
> to return EXCEPTION_CONTINUE_SEARCH for any exception happened in a
> native code. I would suggest to fix the problem in this way instead of
> HARMONY-2285. Currently, the launcher installs its own exception
> handler which blocks default exception handler. So if we wish to have
> a debug dialog we need to disable launcher's handler somehow. Should
> we discuss it in a new thread?

Personally, I use the modified launcher with exception protection commented out
all the time.

I recollect vaguely that introducing command line flag for disabling exception
handling in launcher was discussed and agreed upon, however, noone got to
implement it yet.

(The other "pending" task for launcher was moving it from luni module to
jdktools -- also seems to have been agreed upon and then abandoned)

Re: [launcher] disable exception handler Was: [drlvm][classlib unit tests] iterative runs

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
>> The most clean approach is
>> to return EXCEPTION_CONTINUE_SEARCH for any exception happened in a
>> native code. I would suggest to fix the problem in this way instead of
>> HARMONY-2285. Currently, the launcher installs its own exception
>> handler which blocks default exception handler. So if we wish to have
>> a debug dialog we need to disable launcher's handler somehow. Should
>> we discuss it in a new thread?
>
> Personally, I use the modified launcher with exception protection commented out
> all the time.
>
> I recollect vaguely that introducing command line flag for disabling exception
> handling in launcher was discussed and agreed upon, however, noone got to
> implement it yet.
>
> (The other "pending" task for launcher was moving it from luni module to
> jdktools -- also seems to have been agreed upon and then abandoned)

I think you are being unfair to say 'abandoned' -- we agree on lots of
things but only have time to implement some of them.

Everyone is welcome to suggest fixes and enhancements, and everyone is
equally welcome to help implement them.  Raise a JIRA and attach a patch.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [launcher] disable exception handler Was: [drlvm][classlib unit tests] iterative runs

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
> On 11/24/06, Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> instead of
>> >
>> > Personally, I use the modified launcher with exception protection
>> commented out
>> > all the time.
>>
>> Huh, me too :). Don't know, may be raising JIRA could speed up final
>> resolution?
>
> And me too :-)

Raising a JIRA - with a suggested patch - would speed it up :-)

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
>> The most clean approach is
>> to return EXCEPTION_CONTINUE_SEARCH for any exception happened in a
>> native code. I would suggest to fix the problem in this way instead of
>> HARMONY-2285. Currently, the launcher installs its own exception
>> handler which blocks default exception handler. So if we wish to have
>> a debug dialog we need to disable launcher's handler somehow. Should
>> we discuss it in a new thread?
>
> Personally, I use the modified launcher with exception protection commented out
> all the time.
>
> I recollect vaguely that introducing command line flag for disabling exception
> handling in launcher was discussed and agreed upon, however, noone got to
> implement it yet.
>
> (The other "pending" task for launcher was moving it from luni module to
> jdktools -- also seems to have been agreed upon and then abandoned)

There's lots of things to do.  Things aren't abandoned.  For example, I
haven't heard about class unloading fixes for DRLVM for a while, but
it's clearly not been abandoned...

geir