Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org> on 2010/04/22 19:39:31 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Aries (Incubating) v0.1 release candidate #2

I've staged the second release candidate for Aries (Incubating) v0.1.
The following Aries top level modules are staged and tagged in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/aries/tags/ at revision
936975.

Modules staged at

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-009/

are:

parent
eba-maven-plugin
testsupport
util
blueprint
jndi
transaction
web
application
jmx
jpa
samples

The RAT and IANAL bulid checks passed.

The vote will be open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

Thanks,
Jeremy

Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries (Incubating) v0.1 release candidate #2

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

I did the following:
- built (from both the source-release artifacts and svn tag)
- ran rat and it looked reasonable (although I was surprised that mvn
rat:check claimed failures for things like the manifest files - I
thought the maven-rat-plugin config was supposed to eliminate those)
- ran Blog & AriesTrader in both the equinox assemblies as well as a
Geronimo server pulling in the Aries 0.1-incubating artifacts I built.

All looked good to me.

Joe

--
Joe

Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries (Incubating) v0.1 release candidate #2

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

David

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.
Yes, this is also the same error as 6 of our transaction-itests, who
failed most times as reported by hudson build

Lin

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/22/10 6:38 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>> What happened to application?  I see a tag but nothing in staging
>>
>> On my mac I get itest failures in transaction.  I get them with trunk too.
>>  The errors look something like this:
>>
>> Caused by: ERROR XBM0J: Directory
>> /private/var/folders/J0/J041U4tbGqeIsK+mFxmskk+++TI/-Tmp-/paxexam_runner_david/TESTDB
>> already exists.
>>         at
>> org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
>>         at
>> org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService$9.run(Unknown
>> Source)
>>         at
>> org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService.createServiceRoot(Unknown
>> Source)
>
> I've hit this error once before.  It's a problem where a test DB that is
> created isn't destroyed when the tests complete and then you hit this error
> on all subsequent build attempts.  I'm not even sure why the DB is created
> where it is instead of somewhere under target ... but if you remove the DB
> your test should complete.
>
> Joe

>> I haven't checked the legal files yet but so far everything in staging
>> except samples (which needs application) builds OK for me (except for the
>> above test error that I'm not worrying about).  Assuming the application
>> stuff can be located and the legal files look OK I will be voting +1.
>>
>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>

>> On Apr 22, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> I've staged the second release candidate for Aries (Incubating) v0.1.
>>> The following Aries top level modules are staged and tagged in
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/aries/tags/ at revision
>>> 936975.
>>>
>>> Modules staged at
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-009/
>>>
>>> are:
>>>
>>> parent
>>> eba-maven-plugin
>>> testsupport
>>> util
>>> blueprint
>>> jndi
>>> transaction
>>> web
>>> application
>>> jmx
>>> jpa

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Joe

Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries (Incubating) v0.1 release candidate #2

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
On 23 April 2010 14:56, Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/22/10 6:38 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>> What happened to application?  I see a tag but nothing in staging
>
> Perhaps the mvn release:perform didn't complete?

Yes, I think that's what happened

>> On my mac I get itest failures in transaction.  I get them with trunk too.
>>  The errors look something like this:
>>
>> Caused by: ERROR XBM0J: Directory
>> /private/var/folders/J0/J041U4tbGqeIsK+mFxmskk+++TI/-Tmp-/paxexam_runner_david/TESTDB
>> already exists.
>>         at
>> org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)
>>         at
>> org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService$9.run(Unknown
>> Source)
>>         at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>>         at
>> org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService.createServiceRoot(Unknown
>> Source)

>> I haven't checked the legal files yet but so far everything in staging
>> except samples (which needs application) builds OK for me (except for the
>> above test error that I'm not worrying about).  Assuming the application
>> stuff can be located and the legal files look OK I will be voting +1.
>>
>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>

>> On Apr 22, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> I've staged the second release candidate for Aries (Incubating) v0.1.
>>> The following Aries top level modules are staged and tagged in
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/aries/tags/ at revision
>>> 936975.
>>>
>>> Modules staged at
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-009/
>>>
>>> are:
>>>
>>> parent
>>> eba-maven-plugin
>>> testsupport
>>> util
>>> blueprint
>>> jndi
>>> transaction
>>> web
>>> application
>>> jmx
>>> jpa

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Joe

Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries (Incubating) v0.1 release candidate #2

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy,

+1 from me. Please make sure the KEYS file is prominently present in
the distribution area and on the download pages.

thanks,
dims

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 27 April 2010 14:42, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jeremy,
>> I realized that I failed to review a few things. Can you give me a few hours?
>
> sure, I was hoping to get 3 IPMC binding +1s before calling the vote.
> We have 2 - Guillaume and you at the moment and Dims has just told me
> he'll ping me back later today.
>

>> --kevan
>>
>> On Apr 22, 2010, at 1:39 PM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> I've staged the second release candidate for Aries (Incubating) v0.1.
>>> The following Aries top level modules are staged and tagged in
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/aries/tags/ at revision
>>> 936975.
>>>
>>> Modules staged at
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-009/
>>>
>>> are:
>>>
>>> parent
>>> eba-maven-plugin
>>> testsupport
>>> util
>>> blueprint
>>> jndi
>>> transaction
>>> web
>>> application
>>> jmx
>>> jpa

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 29, 2010, at 12:46 PM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

> On 29 April 2010 17:11, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 28, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> I've raised it on legal-discuss. Has the following option been
>>> considered to satisfy the "... and include the License file at
>>> glassfish/bootstrap/legal/LICENSE.txt.":
>>>
>>> Include that LICENSE.txt file separately from the project's LICENSE
>>> file in a directory called glassfish/bootstrap/legal directory within
>>> the jar/zip AND include the CDDL only in the project's LICENSE file
>>> located at the root of the zip.
>>
>> Well, you could remove the CDDL license from LICENSE and add an entry in LICENSE that points to the LICENSE.txt (i.e. the CDDL+GPL license file).
>
> I was thinking keep the CDDL license in LICENSE, and not add the GPL
> portion. The LICENSE would then represent the licensing of the files
> in the zip - as we have elected to license the two schema files as
> CDDL.

I don't think that's correct. I do think you could add a note to the LICENSE file (preceding the CDDL+GPL license) that states we are choosing the CDDL license.

>> Something like 'licenses/GLASSFISH-LICENSE.txt'. Some projects follow similar schemes -- one AL2 LICENSE file with multiple licenses in a 'license' subdirectory.
>
> This would be to satisfy the text in the header in the schema file
> which says "... and include the License file at
> glassfish/bootstrap/legal/LICENSE.txt." ... so this specifically says
> to include the License file rather than append the License file to the
> one we have.

IMO, the intent of "include the license file" is to include the content of the license file.

>> My personal preference (Geronimo consumes a lot of artifacts) is to have all licensing information within the LICENSE file. It's much easier for consumers of your artifacts to review/follow...
>
> Which would normally be mine too, but I was trying to avoid confusing
> consumers who review the LICENSE file and on doing so would see 'GPL'
> even though none of the artifacts in the zip are licensed under the
> GPL. AIUI, while the schema files were originally CDDL+GPL, because
> we've elected to use the CDDL license, any consumers of our package
> cannot subsequently relicense them as GPL.

You are correct. IIUC, consumers of the Aries' package cannot reapply the GPL portion of the CDDL+GPL dual license.

> I think both options have merits and pitfalls and since I want to get
> on and create a new RC and the most agreed on approach is to put the
> full CDDL+GPL in the LICENSE file, then that is what I'll do.
>
> Thanks though, I do appreciate the discussion.

No problem. And thanks for working though these issues! First releases for a project are typically difficult. And as we've discovered, there are inconsistencies within the ASF -- I've found licensing to be a process of refinement...

If avoiding confusion is really a goal, then the solution is to stop including CDDL+GPL dual licensed artifacts. Changing the licensing information to avoid "confusion" isn't the answer.

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries (Incubating) v0.1 release candidate #2

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 28, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

> I've raised it on legal-discuss. Has the following option been
> considered to satisfy the "... and include the License file at
> glassfish/bootstrap/legal/LICENSE.txt.":
>
> Include that LICENSE.txt file separately from the project's LICENSE
> file in a directory called glassfish/bootstrap/legal directory within
> the jar/zip AND include the CDDL only in the project's LICENSE file
> located at the root of the zip.

Well, you could remove the CDDL license from LICENSE and add an entry in LICENSE that points to the LICENSE.txt (i.e. the CDDL+GPL license file). Something like 'licenses/GLASSFISH-LICENSE.txt'. Some projects follow similar schemes -- one AL2 LICENSE file with multiple licenses in a 'license' subdirectory. My personal preference (Geronimo consumes a lot of artifacts) is to have all licensing information within the LICENSE file. It's much easier for consumers of your artifacts to review/follow...

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries (Incubating) v0.1 release candidate #2

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
I've raised it on legal-discuss. Has the following option been
considered to satisfy the "... and include the License file at
glassfish/bootstrap/legal/LICENSE.txt.":

Include that LICENSE.txt file separately from the project's LICENSE
file in a directory called glassfish/bootstrap/legal directory within
the jar/zip AND include the CDDL only in the project's LICENSE file
located at the root of the zip.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 27, 2010, at 5:43 PM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

> On 27 April 2010 15:51, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> sure, I was hoping to get 3 IPMC binding +1s before calling the vote.
>>> We have 2 - Guillaume and you at the moment and Dims has just told me
>>> he'll ping me back later today.
>>
>> So reviewing a Geronimo release (which had this same issue) made me come back and take a look at Aries.
>>
>> For dual license files like: jpa-0.1-incubating/jpa-container/src/main/resources/org/apache/aries/jpa/container/parsing/impl/persistence.xsd.rsrc
>>
>> I believe we should be including both licenses (as explained in the header of the files). We are currently only including the CDDL license (this may have been my mistake -- in saying the LICENSE information in the RC1 jar file was correct...). I think we should be including the full license text from https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/CDDL+GPL.html (i.e. both licenses), then choosing the CDDL license in the NOTICE file.
>>
>> If we were only including the CDDL license in the RC1 jar file, then I should have caught this last time... Apologies.
>>
>> If others agree, afraid we'll need to update...
>
> Is there a precedent for this? The recent 2.0.0 OpenJPA binary and
> source zip have a LICENSE.txt with just the CDDL in it, no GPL license
> text. Has this been discussed on a list somewhere - I couldn't see
> anything recently on legal-discuss@ - it seems there is some
> inconsistency.

Don't know. Geronimo is following this general scheme -- though I expect there are also instances where this may not followed for Geronimo. We can ask on legal-discuss...

This is how I interpret the instructions in the header for https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/aries/trunk/jpa/jpa-container/src/main/resources/org/apache/aries/jpa/container/parsing/impl/persistence.xsd.rsrc ...

--kevan

Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries (Incubating) v0.1 release candidate #2

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Jeremy,

Posted by Timothy Ward <ti...@apache.org>.

+1 from me too.

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/

Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries (Incubating) v0.1 release candidate #2

Posted by Valentin Mahrwald <vm...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ian Robinson <ia...@googlemail.com>.
+1

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Here's my +1.

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
On 23 April 2010 18:42, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> +1
>
> All the source zips build into something reasonable looking (modulo test failures in transaction)
> Legal files pass my limited scrutiny :-)
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>
> On Apr 23, 2010, at 10:24 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>
>> On 23 April 2010 18:07, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I'm fine with belatedly requiring java 6 and continuing the vote after application is staged to an additional staging repo.
>>
>> We wouldn't be belatedly requiring java 6, because of these issues we
>> would be requiring java 6 in this release. I've uploaded the
>> application modules and they are available here:
>>

> I said "belatedly" because this was not stated clearly as a prerequisite and the poms lead one to think java 5 is sufficient.

Ok sorry I misunderstood. Thanks for the +1

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@gmail.com>.

--
Joe

Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries (Incubating) v0.1 release candidate #2

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
On 23 April 2010 11:14, Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 22 April 2010 21:12, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>> I tried to build this under JDK 1.5 and got compilation errors.  Should we
>> not have a compiler check in the POM?
>
> I was using 1.6. Trying again with 1.5 the first compile error I get
> is in 'util' because a method on IOException introduced in 1.6 is
> being used. Although we use:
>
> <plugin>
>    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>    <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
>    <configuration>
>        <source>1.5</source>
>        <target>1.5</target>
>    </configuration>
> </plugin>
>
> in the pom that doesn't mean we get the 1.5 libraries. Since we want
> users to be able to use 1.5, I'll need to respin.

So, I was just thinking of ways to ensure the we use jdk 1.5. Here's one way:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/examples/compile-using-different-jdk.html

Which works for me: java -version gives me 1.6 and then building
org.apache.aries.util-0.1-incubating gives the IOException compile
problem.

>> Regards,
>> Alan
>>
>> On Apr 22, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> I've staged the second release candidate for Aries (Incubating) v0.1.
>>> The following Aries top level modules are staged and tagged in
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/aries/tags/ at revision
>>> 936975.
>>>
>>> Modules staged at
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-009/
>>>
>>> are:
>>>
>>> parent
>>> eba-maven-plugin
>>> testsupport
>>> util
>>> blueprint
>>> jndi
>>> transaction
>>> web
>>> application
>>> jmx
>>> jpa

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries (Incubating) v0.1 release candidate #2

Posted by Mark Nuttall <mn...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com>.
+1

On 26 April 2010 14:36, Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1
>
> On 26 April 2010 14:28, Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1  &  Thanks for pulling the release together!
>>
>> Lin
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> I've staged the second release candidate for Aries (Incubating) v0.1.
>>> The following Aries top level modules are staged and tagged in
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/aries/tags/ at revision
>>> 936975.
>>>
>>> Modules staged at
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachearies-009/
>>>
>>> are:
>>>
>>> parent
>>> eba-maven-plugin
>>> testsupport
>>> util
>>> blueprint
>>> jndi
>>> transaction
>>> web
>>> application
>>> jmx
>>> jpa

Posted by Alasdair Nottingham <no...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Alasdair Nottingham
not@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries (Incubating) v0.1 release candidate #2

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.