Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/07/02 02:06:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] Incubator Logo & Branding

All,

As a follow up to the current discussions happening, I wanted to get
opinions from the IPMC on whether or not the Incubator logo should be
included in podling websites.

Take https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BrandingAuditJune2016 as a summary
of podling status.

29 podlings presently show the Incubator Logo.  1 podling uses a custom
version of the logo.  This means we're just above 50% matching.  The
branding guide indicates that this is a should, which essentially means
that unless there's some strong reason to not include, it is to be included
on the website.

I believe the usage of the Incubator logo comes from including parent
project logos on sub-project websites, where podlings are essentially
sub-projects, but I can't find anything confirming this.

If we are to require the logo to be present, we must spell out the URL to
the logo to use.  This may be a variety of logos, include transparency
effects, with and without borders, but we should guide projects on where to
find them.

John

Re: [DISCUSS] Incubator Logo & Branding

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 7:39 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds just right to me.
>
> I just spend a few minutes going through incubator sites. The number of
> sites that had the incubator logo was definitely less in my cursory
> examination than the number that made it clear that they were incubating,
> but the number of sites that didn't make it incubation status clear was
> still very high.
>
> This seems like a thing that could be cured by gentle coercion.  Mentors
> would be a first rank for that.

Gentle coercion gets to be much easier when the solutions that you're being
coerced into doesn't make once cringe. Hence my question on investing in
graphics design.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] Incubator Logo & Branding

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Sounds just right to me.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Suggestion; If such new Incubator logo is to be incorporated on podling
sites, could it also be standardized to have a "hover popup" containing the
standard text and possibly links to further information (both
Incubator-specific as well as podling-specific)?

Cheers
Niclas

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: [DISCUSS] Incubator Logo & Branding

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> As a follow up to the current discussions happening, I wanted to get
> opinions from the IPMC on whether or not the Incubator logo should be
> included in podling websites.

+1 It gives a clear indication that the project is under incubation at the ASF.

Bonus points for it linking to somewhere like http://incubator.apache.org.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Incubator Logo & Branding

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
+1

The big thing here is to make easier for new podlings to follow the
guidelines. What about creating a checklist and/or adding this branding
details to the tasks in status template?

The logo is a bit more trickier, but the disclaimer should be something
easy to monitor...

On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>
wrote:

> +1
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 07/02/2016 04:06 AM, John D. Ament wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> As a follow up to the current discussions happening, I wanted to get
>> opinions from the IPMC on whether or not the Incubator logo should be
>> included in podling websites.
>>
>> Take https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BrandingAuditJune2016 as a summary
>> of podling status.
>>
>> 29 podlings presently show the Incubator Logo.  1 podling uses a custom
>> version of the logo.  This means we're just above 50% matching.  The
>> branding guide indicates that this is a should, which essentially means
>> that unless there's some strong reason to not include, it is to be
>> included
>> on the website.
>>
>> I believe the usage of the Incubator logo comes from including parent
>> project logos on sub-project websites, where podlings are essentially
>> sub-projects, but I can't find anything confirming this.
>>
>> If we are to require the logo to be present, we must spell out the URL to
>> the logo to use.  This may be a variety of logos, include transparency
>> effects, with and without borders, but we should guide projects on where
>> find them.
>>
>> John
>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré