Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Java Energizer <jo...@daggerpoint.net> on 2007/05/05 14:25:45 UTC

Service unit to service unit interopperability

Is there a url on recommended interopperability between
service units within the same service assembly?
TIA

RE: Service unit to service unit interopperability

Posted by Owen Thomas <ot...@wcg.net.au>.
Hi Joe

It seems to me that the coupling you require between these legacy apps
might be too high to consider for using ServiceMix. If two or more apps
are talking to each other in any way other than through the NMR as
service units, they will be using some method other than JBI. The JBI
spec's prime reason for existence is to provide a single, SOAP-based,
message transport facility. One either uses it or one doesn't. The
choice depends on the degree of sacrifice one must make.

Unless these objects can be serialised (converted to XML) and sent via
SOAP, my knowledge of ServiceMix or JBI (which I think is comprehensive
enough) tells me that your coupling requirements may not be satisfied.
This may be a case where you might have to sacrifice universal
conversion to an SOA for the sake of continuing to meet business
objectives.

The NMR and SU's use MBeans to receive and transmit management
information relating to their execution state. See chapter 10 of the JBI
1.0 spec (follow the link provided below) for more info on these.
However, I believe it is the case that MBeans are not shared between
SU's in the exchange of information relating to the services provided.
If MBeans were shared between services for information relating to what
each service did, they would be subverting the NMR, and the exchange
would be independent of JBI.

I hope that's clarifying things for you so that you have a better
understanding of whether, in your particular instance, using JBI is
going to be good for you.

Have a good day,

  Owen.

PS: In case you don't have the 1.0 JBI spec, you get it from here:

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr208/index.html

Posted by jbi joe <jo...@daggerpoint.net>.

Posted by jbi joe <jo...@daggerpoint.net>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.